WNY coaches polls
Small Schools Pts. LW
1. Fredonia (B-1)  80 1
2. Gowanda (B-2) 70 3
3. Olean (B-1)  66 2
4. St. Mary’s/Lancaster 46 5
5. Medina 36 7
6. Eden (B-1) 26 4
7. Southwestern (B-2) 23 8
8. Cassadaga Valley 21 7
9. North Collins (D) 20 NR
10. Cleveland Hill 17 NR
Others receiving votes: Westfield 16, Cardinal O’Hara 5, City Honors 4, Akron 3, JFK 3, Roy-Hart 2, Ellicottville 2.
Note: Coaches large school baseball poll was not provided to The News.
Large Schools Pts. LW
1. Clarence (AA)  100 1
2. Orchard Park (AA) 78 3
3. Starpoint (A) 74 6
4. Williamsville South (A) 74 5
5. Williamsville North (AA) 66 10
6. Niagara Falls (AA) 46 7
7. Lancaster (AA) 43 2
8. Niagara-Wheatfield (AA) 21 4
9. Frontier (AA) 18 8
10. West Seneca East (A) 9 NR
Others receiving votes: Kenmore West (AA) 8, Nichols 8, Iroquois (A) 3, Hamburg (A) 2.
Small Schools Pts.
1. Eden (B)  67
2. Depew (B)  66
3. Olean (B) 55
4. Falconer (B) 42
5. Fredonia (B) 40
6. Franklinville (C) 29
7. Cattaraugus/LV (C) 28
8. Alden (B) 25
9. Nichols 17
10. Gowanda (B) 10
Others receiving votes: Chautauqua Lake, Pine Valley, Brocton, Roy-Hart, St. Mary’s.
• In the Section VI baseball playoffs, the Class A final between Starpoint and Albion will be played on Wednesday at Lew-Port at 5 p.m. Fredonia and Gowanda will play for the Class B crown on Wednesday at 5 p.m. at Diethrick Park in Jamestown at 5 p.m. The Starpoint-Albion winner will take on Pittsford-Sutherland on Saturday in Section V. The Fredonia-Gowanda winner will get Livonia on Saturday in Section V.
In the Far West Regionals against Section V, Class AA champion Lancaster will face Victor at a site in Section V. Other sectional champions Cassadaga Valley (Class C) and North Collins (Class D) await their opponents.
• In the Georgetown Cup playoffs, St. Francis and Canisius will meet in a semifinals at Delaware Park at 4:30 today. In the other semifinal on Wednesday, Cardinal O’Hara plays at top seeded St. Joe’s at 4:30 p.m.. The best-of-three championship will be played at Coca Cola Field June 9-11.
• The Section VI softball tournament concludes this week starting with a pair of finals at Jefferson Middle School in Jamestown today. In Class C, No. 6 Franklinville plays No. 5 Cattaraugus/Little Valley at 6 p.m. In Class D, No. 4 Brocton clashes with No. 2 Pine Valley at 4 p.m. Brockport State will host Far West Regionals on Friday against the champions from Section V.
Niagara-Wheatfield will host three Section VI finals on Wednesday. In Class AA, No. 7 seed Williamsville North tries to dethrone No. 1 Clarence at 4 p.m. In Class A, No. 2 Starpoint and No. 1 Williamsville South meet at 6 p.m. In another 1 vs. 2 matchup, Depew plays Eden for the Class B crown at 5 p.m. The winners of those three titles will return to Niagara-Wheatfield on Friday to play in the Far West Regionals.
• The New York State Track & Field Championships are Friday and Saturday at Cicero North Syracuse. The facility is considered one of the best in the state. Admission both days is $8.
• The New York State Girls Golf Championships are June 13-14 at Cornell University.
• Tryouts for the BCANY team that will play in Johnson City this summer at “Hoopsfest”(August 1-3) will be on June 4 and 5 at St. Mary’s in Lancaster from 6-8 p.m. For those selected to play for the team, this is not a summer long commitment.
Practices will be the last week of July before the tournament on Friday, Aug. 1. Any player returning to play next season for his high school is eligible. There is no cost for the tryout. Coaches of each individual player need to be members of BCANY for the athlete to be eligible.
• Two athletes from Kenmore West have recently announced their college intentions. Softball standout Charlotte Miller has signed with the University at Buffalo. Adam Fron will continue his football career at Ithaca.
Spotlight goes dark
This is the final edition of the Scholastic Spotlight for the spring season as well as the 2013-2014 school year. The News will continue to follow all of the playoff action for the next couple weeks. Continue to send items of interest to Sidelines via email at: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 849-4587.