2013 Buffalo News football polls
State classification in parentheses; first-place votes in brackets; LW-last week; *-tie in points.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts. LW
1. St. Joe’s  3-0 96 1
2. Canisius  2-1 88 2
3. Jamestown (AA)  3-0 85 3
4. Sweet Home (A) 3-0 67 4
5. Frontier (AA) 3-0 62 6
6. West Seneca East (A) 3-0 51 7
7. Lancaster (AA) 3-0 33 9
8. Orchard Park (AA) 2-1 16 8
9. Lockport (AA) 2-1 15 5
10. Williamsville South (A) 3-0 13 NR
Others receiving votes (with points): Grand Island (A) 12, McKinley (A) 9, South Park (A) 3.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts. LW
1. Depew (B)  3-0 91 2
2. Alden (B)  3-0 87 1
3. Randolph (D)  3-0 69 3
4. Cleveland Hill (C) 3-0 68 4
5. Burgard (B)  3-0 64 5
6. St. Mary’s/Lancaster 3-0 50 6
7. Fredonia (C) 3-0 37 8
8. Cheektowaga (B) 2-1 30 7
9. Medina (B) 3-0 22 10
10. Maple Grove (D) 3-0 17 NR
Others receiving votes (with points): Lackawanna (C) 15.
How The News voted
Want to see why The News voted some schools ahead of others? Keith McShea explains his large and small school ballots in the weekly How The News voted post at the Prep Talk blog at buffalonews.com.
• Week Four in football kicks off on Friday with a battle between the No. 1 vs. No. 2 small school in The News poll. No. 1 Depew hosts No. 2 Alden on Friday at 7:30 p.m in a game that is also for first place in Class B South. A Class C North showdown features Cleveland Hill at Lackawanna at 7. Class AA has a matchup of unbeatens with Lancaster making the trip to Jamestown’s Strider Field for a 7 p.m. kickoff. In Class D, defending state champion Randolph plays fellow Class D superpower Maple Grove/Chautauqua Lake at 7 p.m. Friday. Canisius plays its first Monsignor Martin Association contest Friday at 7 at St. Francis.
On Saturday at 1 p.m., perhaps the marquee game of the weekend has St. Joe’s hosting Rochester’s Aquinas, which debuted at the top of the New York State Sportswriters’ Class AA poll this week after last weekend’s 3-0 win over Canisius. … An intriguing nonleaguer at 1 p.m. Saturday has Williamsville South of Class A South at Class AA’s Orchard Park.
• Several ranked teams will square off this week in boys volleyball. On Wednesday it’s No. 2 Hamburg at No. 3 West Seneca West at 6:30 p.m. On Friday it’s No. 4 Clarence at No. 7 Frontier battling for a share of first place in ECIC I at 6:30 p.m. Also Friday there’s a nonleaguer between West Seneca West at No. 5 St. Joe’s at 6:30 p.m. Williamsville South is hosting a tournament on Saturday with the Billies, West Seneca West and Lockport among the ranked teams in the field.
• In girls volleyball Lancaster is at Frontier tonight at 6:30 p.m. … Second place in the Niagara Frontier League is up for grabs tonight when North Tonawanda (5-1) is at Lockport (5-1). On Thursday it’s Lockport at undefeated Niagara-Wheatfield (6-0).
• Saturday’s cross country competition includes the WNY Cross County and Track Officials Invitatioinal at Sunshine Park in West Seneca. The annual McQuaid Invitational is at Genesee Valley Park.
Football honor roll
• CONNOLLY CUP: The ADPRO Week Three top performers are: Chance Anzivine (Olean), Kevin Goltz (Orchard Park), Jamie Greiner (Franklinville), Dylan Lewis (Medina/Lyndonville), Matt McCarthy (Fredonia), Connor McMahon (Kenmore East), Ryan Miller (Maple Grove/Chautauqua Lake), Mark Myles (Hamburg), Joe Nagy (Amherst), Jake Nosbisch (Silver Creek/Forestville), Alex Price (Kenmore West), Brandon Thomas (Cleveland Hill), Rodney Turner (Depew). Coaches are encouraged to send players to be seen via email to: email@example.com.
• TRENCH TROPHY: The Linemen of the Week for Week Three are: Ryan Byrne (Timon-St. Jude), Sean Connell (Salamanca), Dylan Grant (Depew), Kim Jin (Fredonia) and William Kirkwood (Frontier). Coaches wishing to nominate players should contact Carl Kuras of the Trench Trophy Committee via: www.trenchtrophy.com. Coaches of nominees throughout the season are asked to call Kuras at 698-1893 or send game tapes to the committee.
• UNDERCLASSMEN OF THE WEEK: The Jim Kelly Football Camp Underclassmen of the Week for Week Three are: Offense junior running back Matt McCarthy of Fredonia and defense sophomore defensive back Matt Foster of Williamsville South.
• COACH OF THE WEEK: The Week Three NFL/Buffalo Bills Coach of the Week is Tim Wade of East Aurora/Holland. Wade’s Blue Devils surprised No. 9 small school Eden.
Send items to Sidelines via mail (P.O. Box 100, Buffalo, 14240), fax (849-4587) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).