2013 Buffalo News football polls
State classification in parentheses; first-place votes in brackets; LW-last week; *-tie in points.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts. LW
1. St. Joe’s  2-0 95 2
2. Canisius  1-1 88 1
3. Jamestown (AA)  2-0 86 4
4. Sweet Home (A) 2-0 69 5
5. Lockport (AA) 2-0 48 9
6. Frontier (AA) 2-0 42 6
7. West Seneca East (A) 2-0 38 7
8. Orchard Park (AA) 1-1 28 10
9. Lancaster (AA) 2-0 21 NR
10. Grand Island (A) 2-0 20 8
Others receiving votes (with points): Williamsville South (A) 7, McKinley (A) 4, South Park (A) 4.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts. LW
1. Alden (B)  2-0 96 1
2. Depew (B) 2-0 90 2
3. Randolph (D) 2-0 69 4
4. Cleveland Hill (C)  2-0 67 3
5. Burgard (B) 2-0 51 5
6. St. Mary’s/Lancaster 2-0 45 7
7. Cheektowaga (B) 2-0 38 6
8. Fredonia (C) 2-0 37 8
9. Eden (B) 1-1 20 9*
10. Medina (B) 2-0 17 NR
Others receiving votes (with points): Maple Grove/Chautauqua Lake (D) 11, Salamanca (C) 5, Lackawanna (C) 3, Lew-Port (B) 1.
How The News voted
Want to see why The News voted some schools ahead of others? Keith McShea explains his large and small school ballots in the weekly How The News voted post at the Prep Talk blog at buffalonews.com.
• Week Three of football kicks off Friday with an intriguing nonleague game at All High Stadium between Jamestown and South Park at 7 p.m. Both teams have won their first two games, with South Park scoring a major victory at Iroquois last weekend. Salamanca is at Fredonia at 7:30 p.m. in a Class C matchup of last year’s divisional winner playing at last year’s Class C runner-up. A big matchup in Class AA has Frontier at Lockport on Saturday at 2 p.m. Each is 2-0, with Lockport coming off its big win at Orchard Park. Timon-St. Jude and St. Mary’s pair up on the first day of Monsignor Martin Association league action on Saturday at 1 p.m. Canisius hosts Walsh Jesuit of Ohio on Saturday at 2 p.m., a team it beat last year on the road.
• In a boys soccer game today it’s No. 1 small school Akron at No. 2 large school Williamsville East in a non leaguer at 4:30 p.m. … No. 4 large school Lancaster hosts Orchard Park today at 4:45 p.m. and host No. 1 Clarence on Thursday at 4:45 p.m. … No. 4 small school I-Prep play plays No. 8 City Honors on Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Johnnie B. Wiley Stadium.
• The No. 4 Clarence boys volleyball team hosts a pair of key matches in ECIC I when No. 9 Lancaster visits today and No. 7 Hamburg comes to town on Thursday. … No. 3 West Seneca West hosts No. 2 Canisius as part of homecoming on Wednesday . . . Orchard Park travels to No. 6 Frontier on Friday. … The Ken-Ton and Sweet Home Tournaments are Saturday while Eden travels to the Victor Tournament.
• On Friday the No. 7 Orchard Park girls volleyball hosts No. 8 Frontier at 7:30 p.m. … The Eden Girls Volleyball Tournament is Saturday.
• The East Aurora Cross Country Invitational is Saturday. … Sweet Home, Starpoint, Barker, Lake Shore and Maple Grove are among the local teams traveling to the Queensbury Invitational in Section II, site of this year’s New York State championship.
Football honor roll
• CONNOLLY CUP: The ADPRO Week Two top performers are: Jaleel Battle (Williamsville East), Tadd Beattie (Salamanca), Dan Brown (Medina), Sam Castronova (Williamsville South), Cameron Coon (Frontier), Lyle Grant (Alden), Devin Lindner (West Seneca East), Austin Lauricella (Akron), Tyler Mascio (South Park), Tyler Mummery (Pioneer), Jake Sisson (Jamestown), Cameron Smith (Lackawanna), Preston Smith (Kenmore East), Kevin Torrillo (Sweet Home), Nick Vallone (St. Mary’s). Coaches are encouraged to send players to be seen via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• TRENCH TROPHY: The Linemen of the Week for Week Two are: Connor Babel (West Seneca East), Paul Battaglia (St. Mary’s), Jerimiah Bill (Hamburg), Tommy James (Akron) and Ryan Merlau (Pioneer). Coaches wishing to nominate players should contact Carl Kuras of the Trench Trophy Committee via: www.trenchtrophy.com. Coaches of nominees throughout the season are asked to call Kuras at 698-1893 or send game tapes to the committee.
• UNDERCLASSMEN OF THE WEEK: The Jim Kelly Football Camp Underclassmen of the Week for Week Two are: junior quarterback Tyler Fraass of Lockport (offense) and junior defensive lineman Jordan Breyerton of Southwestern (defense).
• COACH OF THE WEEK: The Week Two NFL/Buffalo Bills Coach of the Week is Greg Bronson of Lockport. The visiting Lions upset defending Section VI Class AA champion Orchard Park, 33-27.
Send items to Sidelines via mail (P.O. Box 100, Buffalo, 14240), fax (849-4587) or email (email@example.com).