2013 Buffalo News football polls
State classification in parentheses; first-place votes in brackets; LW-last week; *-tie in points.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts. LW
1. Jamestown (AA)  5-0 98 1
2. Canisius  4-1 88 t2
3. St. Joe’s 4-1 84 t2
4. Sweet Home (A) 5-0 70 5
5. South Park (A) 4-1 47 9
6. Orchard Park (AA) 4-1 43 7
7. Frontier (AA) 4-1 31 4
8. McKinley (A) 5-0 30 10
9. West Seneca East (A) 4-1 17 6
10. Williamsville South (A) 4-1 14 NR
Others receiving votes (with points): Grand Island (A) 11, Kenmore West (AA) 8, Lancaster (AA) 8.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts. LW
1. Alden (B)  5-0 97 1
2. Randolph (D) 5-0 84 2
3. Burgard (B)  5-0 80 3
4. Cleveland Hill (C) 5-0 69 4
5. Cheektowaga (B) 4-1 49 8
6. Fredonia (C) 5-0 48 7
7. Depew (B) 4-1 55 6
8. St. Mary’s/Lancaster 4-1 23 5
9. Salamanca (C) 4-1 16 NR
10. Maple Grove (D) * 4-1 13 t10
Others receiving votes (with points): Pioneer (B) 12, Lackawanna (C) 3, Bennett (B) 1.
How The News voted
Want to see why The News voted some schools ahead of others? Keith McShea explains his large and small school ballots in the weekly How The News voted post at the Prep Talk blog at buffalonews.com.
• Week six in football includes a battle for first place in Class A Central with McKinley at Williamsville South at 7 p.m. on Friday. … There will be a Frontier-at-Lancaster Class AA showdown at 7:30 on Friday. … Traditional rivals meet when West Seneca East plays at West Seneca West at 7 p.m. Friday. … St. Joe’s will take on one of the top teams in Pennsylvania when it plays at Cathedral Prep in Erie Friday night. … A first-place battle in Class B North has top 10 small schools meeting as Burgard is at Cheektowaga at 2 p.m. Saturday. … In the Monsignor Martin Association, Canisius hosts Bishop Timon-St. Jude at the Stransky Complex at 2 Saturday.
• In boys soccer undefeated and No. 1 ranked large school Williamsville East puts its 11-0 record on the line when it travels to Iroquois on Wednesday at 4:45 p.m. and hosts West Seneca East on Friday at 4:45 p.m. No. 2 large school Clarence hosts Williamsville North on Wednesday at 4:45 while No. 3 Lancaster is at Jamestown at 5 p.m. No. 1 ranked small school Akron is at Wilson on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. … The Sixth Annual Super Monday features four games on the turf fields at Nichols — East Aurora vs. Nichols at 10 a.m., Akron vs. Canisius at 11 a.m., Orchard Park vs. St. Francis at 12:30 p.m. and Williamsville East vs. St. Joe’s at 1:30 p.m.
• It will be No. 1 vs. No. 2 in girls volleyball on Thursday when No. 1 Orchard Park travels to No. 2 Frontier at 6:30 p.m. Each is 7-1 in ECIC I. The first time they met the Quakers won in five games. The same two teams will travel to Pittsford-Sutherland for a tournament on Saturday.
• The Nardin girls soccer team plays at Nichols today at 4:30 p.m. in Msgr. Martin Association. Nichols needs a win to tie the Gators for first place in the league.
• In boys volleyball, No. 2 St. Joe’s is at Orchard Park tonight at 6:45 p.m. On Wednesday, No. 4 Hamburg is at No. 7 Frontier at 6:30 p.m. … The Orchard Park Tournament is on Saturday.
• Cross country’s Alden Stampede is Saturday. Pembroke of Section V will also host an Invitational meet. … First place in the City of Buffalo boys and girls leagues will be up for grabs on Thursday at the Delaware Park Rose Garden course when the unbeaten City Honors and Hutch-Tech teams meet. The girls race is at 4:30 p.m. followed by the boys at 4:50 p.m.
• Wednesday is a big day in field hockey with No. 7 ranked Clarence at No. 4 Williamsville South at 4:45, co-No. 2 Iroquois at No. 5 Pioneer at 7 p.m. and No. 1 Amherst at W.S. East at 4:45 p.m. On Thursday No. 8 Williamsville North visits No. 7 Clarence at 4:15 p.m.
Football honor roll
• CONNOLLY CUP: The ADPRO Week Five top performers are: Sam Castronova (Williamsville South), Brady Collver (Frewsburg), Cody Dustin (Falconer), Adam Fron (Kenmore West), Brennan Geiger (Gowanda), Tyler Hill (St. Joe’s), Zack Liberatore (Canisius), Matt McCarthy (Fredonia), Taron Scott (South Park), Jake Schloss (Pioneer), Brian Stoldt (Alden), Kevin Torrillo (Sweet Home), Rodney Turner (Depew), John Warne (Albion), Brendan Weierheisen (Akron) and Emaure Williams (Clarence). Coaches are encouraged to send players to be seen via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• TRENCH TROPHY: The Linemen of the Week for Week five are: Tommy Doctor (Grand Island), Trevon Harrell (Cheektowaga), Dawson Hillis (Orchard Park), David Koeppel (Canisius) and Justin Restorff (North Tonawanda). Coaches wishing to nominate players should contact Carl Kuras of the Trench Trophy Committee (www.trenchtrophy.com.). Coaches of nominees throughout the season are asked to call Kuras at 698-1893 or send game tapes to the committee.
• UNDERCLASSMEN OF THE WEEK: The Jim Kelly Football Camp Underclassmen of Week Five are: Offense - junior quarterback Kevin Torillo of Sweet Home and defense - junior linebacker Brandon Smiley of Sweet Home and junior linebacker Trent White of Kenmore West.
COACH OF THE WEEK: The Week Five NFL/Buffalo Bills Coach of the Week is Tim Delaney of South Park. The Sparks handed West Seneca East its first loss of the season while clinching the Class A South title.
Send items to Sidelines via mail (P.O. Box 100, Buffalo, 14240), fax (849-4587) or email (email@example.com).