2013-14 News basketball polls
State classification in parentheses; first-place votes in brackets; *-tie in points.
Boys large schools
Team (Class) Record Pts.
1. Canisius (A)  3-0 100
2. McKinley (A-1) 1-0 82
3. Clarence (AA) 3-0 79
4. Jamestown (AA) 1-1 69
5. Bishop Timon-St. Jude (A) 2-2 52
6. St. Joe’s (A) 2-3 35
7. Lockport (AA) 3-1 32
8. Amherst (A-2) 2-1 31
9. Kenmore West (AA) 2-1 30
10. Williamsville North (A-1) 1-2 26
Others receiving votes (with points): North Tonawanda (A-1) 9, Cheektowaga (A-2) 3, Niagara Falls (AA) 1, Williamsville East (A-1) 1.
Large school pollsters: Mark Simon (St. Joe’s of the Monsignor Martin Association), Kyle Husband (Canisius/Monsignor Martin), Ben Drake (Jamestown/ECIC I), Al Monaco (Basketball Coaches Association of New York/Fredonia State assistant), Erik O’Bryan (Niagara-Wheatfield/Niagara Frontier League), Steve Allen (official), Benjy Bluman (official), Chad Andrews (View From Centercourt blog), Dave Universal (New York State Sportswriters Association poll), Keith McShea (The Buffalo News).
Boys small schools
Team (Class) Record Pts.
1. Olean (B-1)  4-0 99
2. East (B-2)  1-0 90
3. St. Mary’s (B) 1-0 66
4. Fredonia (B-1) 1-1 *46
4. Middle Early College (C-1) 0-1 *46
6. Silver Creek (C-1) 4-1 41
7. Nichols (B) 2-2 39
8. Park (B) 2-5 34
9. Randolph (C-2) 1-0 25
10. Depew (B-1) 1-2 15
Others receiving votes (with points): Barker (C-1) 14, Health Sciences (B-2) 13, Lackawanna (B-1) 10, Sherman (D) 6, Cleveland Hill (B-2) 4, CSAT (B-2) 2.
Small school pollsters: Randall Rich (Middle Early College of the Yale Cup), Larry Jones (ECIC III/Depew), Tony Krupski (JFK/ECIC IV), Brett Sippel (Wilson/Niagara-Orleans), Brian Koscielniak (Salamanca/CCAA II), Derek Hill (official), Andrew Webster (Prep Talk blog contributor), Chad Andrews (View From Centercourt blog), Dave Universal (New York State Sportswriters Association poll), Keith McShea (The Buffalo News).
Girls basketball polls
Pollsters needed: Any varsity coach of official interested in voting on the large or small school polls should email Mary Jo Monnin at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Kenmore West boys basketball team, leading the Niagara Frontier League at 3-0, host Lockport (2-1) today at 6:30 on a day full of big league contests. … In ECIC I 7:30 starts, Williamsville North hosts Jamestown while Clarence is at Frontier. … Canisius puts its 3-0 record on the line today when it travels to Park to open defense of it Monsignor Martin Association title. … Monsignor Martin runner-up Bishop Timon/St. Jude hosts St. Mary’s at 7 tonight. … In the Yale Cup on Thursday, McKinley is at South Park for a 6 p.m. tipoff. … Canisius will host the renamed ADPRO Sports Public/Private Challenge with three games each on Thursday and Friday and four on Saturday.
• In girls basketball, undefeated Cardinal O’Hara is playing three games in three days starting with today’s game at Mount Mercy at 6 p.m., continuing with a home game against Sweet Home on Wednesday at 6 p.m. and finishing Thursday at Williamsville North at 7:30 p.m. … Jamestown (3-0) is at Williamsville North today at 6 p.m. then is home to host the Jamestown Tournament. In the first round the Red Raiders play Chautauqua Lake at 7:30 following Olean vs. Frewsburg at 6 p.m. The finals and consolation are Saturday 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. … In the Niagara Frontier League today, Lockport hosts Kenmore West at 6 p.m. Also today, Niagara Falls (3-1) hosts Niagara-Wheatfield at 6:30 p.m.
• The Williamsville North and St. Joe’s hockey teams will clash on Thursday at the Northtowns Center at 7 p.m. … Frontier, coming off Saturday’s win of the Batavia Tournament, plays Clarence at the Northtowns Center on Saturday at 5 p.m. … Kenmore East plays Williamsville East on Saturday at Northtowns at 1 p.m.
• In girls hockey, the Monsignor Martin Association takes on Lancaster/Iroquois on Thursday at the Tacoma Ice Rink at 4:30 p.m. and West Seneca on Friday at 5 p.m. at the West Seneca Rink. … Williamsville and Nichols meet on Thursday at 4 p.m. at the Northtowns Center.
• The 28th annual Southern Tier Wrestling Officials Classic is Saturday at Frewsburg.
• The Clarence boys swimming team host ECIC I rival Orchard Park on Tuesday. On Friday the Red Devils host a meet involving OP, East Aurora and Starpoint. … Canisius will compete Friday in Cleveland at the Viking Invitational.
• In indoor track, Friday is the C/E Divisional at the Lancaster Fieldhouse at 5:30 p.m. There are two meets on Saturday in Fredonia: The B/F Divisional at 9 a.m. followed by the A/D Divisional at 2 p.m.
• Sacred Heart senior Sarah Notaro has signed a NAIA letter of intent to play golf for Ave Maria (Fla.) University. Notaro has been a varsity member of Sacred Heart’s championship golf team for four years. She has placed first at the International Junior Golf Tour and scored two first place and three top three finishes in Western New York PGA junior competition.
• Nardin senior Elizabeth Walter has signed a national letter of intent with the University of Notre Dame’s NCAA Division I rowing program. Walter was selected in both her junior and senior years to compete at the Head of the Charles, the prestigious event in Boston. She also rowed at the Royal Canadian Henley.
Send items to Sidelines via mail (P.O. Box 100, Buffalo, 14240), fax (849-4587) or email (email@example.com).