2013 Buffalo News football polls
State classification in parentheses; first-place votes in brackets; LW-last week; *-tie in points.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts. LW
1. Jamestown (AA)  8-0 96 1
2. Canisius  6-2 88 2
3. Sweet Home (A) 8-0 83 3
4. St. Joe’s 6-2 65 4
5. Orchard Park (AA) 6-2 61 5
6. Kenmore West (AA) 6-2 46 T8
7. Grand Island (A) 7-1 41 10
8. West Seneca East (A) 7-1 35 7
9. Frontier (AA) 6-2 12 NR
10. Wmsv. North (A) 5-3 10 NR
Others receiving votes (with points): South Park (A) 8, McKinley (A) 3, Timon/St. Jude 2.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts. LW
1. Alden (B)  8-0 100 1
2. Randolph (D) 8-0 87 2
3. Cleveland Hill (C) 8-0 78 3
4. Fredonia (C) 8-0 69 5
5. Burgard (B) 7-1 63 6
6. Depew (B) 6-2 51 7
7. Akron (C) 6-2 23 NR
8. Cheektowaga (B) * 6-2 19 4
8. Eden (B) * 5-3 19 NR
10. Maple Grove (D) 7-1 17 10
Others receiving votes (with points): Lackawanna (C) 16, St. Mary’s 6, Salamanca (C) 2.
How The News voted
Want to see why The News voted some schools ahead of others? Keith McShea explains his large and small school ballots in the weekly How The News voted post at the Prep Talk blog at buffalonews.com.
• Week Nine of the football season includes some of the biggest games of the year. St. Joe’s plays rival Canisius at 1 p.m. Saturday at Canisius’ Stransky Complex on Clinton Street in West Seneca. Last year Canisius won, 28-21, before more than 6,000 at St. Joe’s. Tickets are available at the respective schools. Students from the two schools get in free with student ID; tickets are $4 for all other students and adults, either presale or at the gate.
Other key Monsignor Martin Association games on the final weekend of league play are Friday’s St. Francis at Bishop Timon-St. Jude matchup (7 p.m.) and Saturday’s St. Mary’s at Cardinal O’Hara small-school battle (2 p.m.).
Friday night will be busy with seven games in the Section VI semifinals. The winners will earn a trip to the finals at Ralph Wilson Stadium. The other three games will be Saturday.
The Chuck Funke Memorial Classic Consolation Bowls will continue Wednesday.
• The Section VI Boys Soccer tournament is down to the Class AA semifinals today at Hamburg at 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. The Class A-1 and Class A-2 finals will be played on Wednesday at Hamburg. The Class B-1 and Class B-2 finals will be played on Thursday at Hamburg at 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Class C will play its finals on Friday at Pioneer at 5 p.m. Class D plays its finals at Hamburg at 5 p.m. … The Monsignor Martin Association will play its final four Wednesday. St. Joe’s is at Canisius at 3:30 p.m. St. Francis is at Nichols at 3:30 p.m. The winners meet for the championship Sunday at 2 p.m. at Niagara University.
• The Section VI Girls Soccer Tournament is down to its final four in Classes AA, A, B and C. Amherst and Depew will host tripleheaders today. All four Class AA teams will play in a semifinal at Depew at 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. The Class A semifinals will be held at two different sites: Depew at 4:30 p.m. and Amherst at 4:30. Amherst will also host the Class B final four at 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. The Class C final four are tonight in Dunkirk at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. The Class D final between Ellicottville vs. Pine Valley is Friday at 5 p.m.
The Monsignor Martin Association North and South title will be decided Sunday at Niagara University. In the North division, Nichols and Nardin will meet at noon. The winner will represent the league in the state CHSAA playoffs. St. Mary’s plays Immaculata at 10 a.m. for the South crown. … The Radcliffe Cup playoffs continue today when Olmsted plays da Vinci at 4 p.m. at All High Stadium. The winner meets City Honors on Friday at 5 p.m. at All High.
• The Section VI Cross Country Championships are Friday at Long Point State Park in Bemus Point. The first of eight races starts at noon. Class C boys at noon, Class D boys at 12:30 p.m., Class A boys at 1 p.m., Class B boys at 1:30 p.m., Class C girls at 2 p.m., Class D girls at 2:30 p.m., Class A girls at 3 p.m. and Class B girls at 3:30 p.m. … The Monsignor Martin Association All-Catholic meet is Sunday at Knox Farms in East Aurora with the girls varsity race starting at 10:30 a.m. and the boys at 11 a.m.
• The Section VI Girls Volleyball Tournament will hold quarterfinals in all five classes today at the higher seed. The winners advance to Friday’s semifinals at the higher seed. All matches begin at 6 p.m.
• The Section VI Boys Volleyball Tournament will hold eight prequarterfinals in Class B today at 6 p.m. Class A and Class B will both hold quarterfinals Thursday at the higher seed, all at 6 p.m. … The Monsignor Martin Association semifinals are today at Canisius. St. Joe’s plays St. Mary’s at 5 p.m. and St. Francis plays Canisius at 6:30 p.m. The winners play for the title Friday at Canisius at 5 p.m.
• The 40th annual Section VI Field Hockey Championships continue today with Class A (two games) and Class C (four games) playing quarterfinals at the higher seed. The event then shifts to Amherst for the semifinals and finals. Class B will have its semifinals Wednesday. Thursday is the Class C semifinals and Friday is the Class A semifinals. All games are at 5:30 and 7:30 p.m.
• The Section VI Boys Gymnastics Championships are Wednesday at Williamsville South at 5 p.m. The Section VI Girls Gymnastics Championships are Saturday at Kenmore West at 3 p.m.
• The New York State Girls Tennis Championships are Friday-Monday at the Tri-City Tennis Center in Section II Latham, starting each day at 9 a.m.
Football honor roll
• CONNOLLY CUP: The ADPRO Week eight top performers are: Chance Anzivinze (Olean), Jarod Brandon (Grand Island), Justin Forster (Cattaraugus/Little Valley), Lyle Grant (Alden), Austen Lauricella (Akron), Jay Longwell (Akron), Evan Majewski (Starpoint), Qadree Ollison (Canisius), Alex Price (Kenmore West), Alex Smythe (Eden), DeSean Walker (Orchard Park), Mike Waterman (West Seneca East) and Jake Wiggers (Clymer). Coaches are encouraged to send players to be seen via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• TRENCH TROPHY: The Linemen of the Week for week eight are: Bryan Cheskiewicz (Starpoint), Erik Jacobs (Williamsville South), Kyle Moran (Southwestern), Maurice Powell (McKinley) and Brett Seekings (Fredonia).
The Trench Trophy committee will soon begin film review. Game films of candidates could be forwarded to Lancaster Elks, 33 Legion Parkway, Lancaster, NY 14086, with attention to Carl Kuras. Coaches wishing to nominate players should contact Kuras (www.trenchtrophy.com.).
• UNDERCLASSMEN OF THE WEEK: The Jim Kelly Football Camp Underclassmen of week eight are: Offense: sophomore running back Jarod Brandon of Grand Island. Defense: junior defensive end T.J. Wheatley of Canisius.
COACH OF THE WEEK: The Week Eight NFL/Buffalo Bills Coach of the Week is Mike Mammoliti of Williamsville North, whose Spartans advanced in the Class A playoff with a win over South Park.
Send items to Sidelines via mail (P.O. Box 100, Buffalo, 14240), fax (849-4587) or email (email@example.com).