1. Clarence and East Aurora cross country. Red Devils boys and girls both No. 1 in large school polls. Blue Devils both No. 1 in small school polls. Both competing in the wonderfully named KnoXC Invitational at the Polo Field at East Aurora’s Historical Knox Park.
2. Jamestown football. Ascending this week to No. 1 in The News large school poll – for the first time I believe since 2001 – deserves this spot on the scoreboard (which the Red Raiders have been wearing out, 50 points at a time).
3. Alden football. Re-ascending this week to No. 1 in The News small school poll – for the first time since two weeks ago – Alden deserves a top spot for what was a simply superb performance at Depew on Friday night.
4. Clarence girls swimming. The Red Devils are at it again. In a 125-61 home win over Orchard Park last week, Clarence not only won all 10 events, each time met the state meet standard. The 200 medley relay of familiar fast faces Maddy Jacumski, Dorotka Tou, Victoria Butler and Dina Rommel set a pool record of 1:50.77.
5. St. Mary’s girls volleyball. The No. 1 small school Lancers won at No. 1 large school Orchard Park on Wednesday night. Make annual trip to prestigious Garden State Challenge this weekend.
6. Canisius boys volleyball. No. 1 team in Western New York came from two games down Monday night to win, 16-25, 23-25, 26-24, 25-17, 25-22. Only thing sweeter for Crusaders was the opponent: No. 2 St. Joe’s. Their second meeting is Oct. 17 at St. Joe’s.
7. Randolph football. No. 1 in the state in Class D all three weeks of the poll, coming off a thorough win at rival Maple Grove/Chautauqua Lake, and up to No. 2 in the small school poll.
8. Williamsville East boys soccer. Some clarity atop the large school poll after the Flames earned all eight first place votes this week.
9. Williamsville South girls soccer. No. 1 large school Billies just notched a win over No. 3 Will East on Monday.
10. Burgard football. Big, fast and talented Bulldogs dominated second half against top 10 team Medina to move up to No. 3 in small school poll.
Honor roll: Clarence, Akron and Nichols boys soccer; Sacred Heart girls golf; Lockport and Wilson girls soccer; Orchard Park girls volleyball; Nardin swimming; Barker, Iroquois and Amherst field hockey; Williamsville North, Orchard Park, Starpoint and Eden boys golf; Orchard Park girls tennis; Williamsville South girls gymnastics.