1. Canisius football. Moved up to No. 7 (from No. 9) in Prep Nation’s East Region top 10 & up to No. 19 in Student Sports East Region rankings. Only NY team in both.
2. St. Joe’s football. Outstanding opening win over Long Island power St. Anthony’s (were 89-10 since 2004; including 39-4 over last three seasons). Marauders will talk about it on PrepTalkTV tonight.
3. Starpoint cross country. At season-opening Dash in the Dark at Oakfield-Alabama, a field that included East Aurora, Spartans won the girls’ three-member relay and had the top boys’ result among Western New York teams (second behind V-Pittsford Mendon).
4. St. Mary’s girls volleyball. Beat Eden in semifinals before falling to Penfield in own prestigious season-opening tournament.
5. St. Joe’s boys volleyball. No. 1 in Western New York after starting season as the only WNY team to make the excellent Eden Invitational’s final four (the other three were from Section V).
6. Clarence boys soccer. WNY’s No. 1 large school opened with win at own tournament.
7. East Aurora cross country. Girls ranked first among WNY small schools, boys ranked third; Blue Devils part of huge West Seneca Invitational on Saturday at Sunshine Park.
8. Clarence cross country. Girls ranked first among WNY large schoools, boys ranked second.
9. Canisius boys soccer. Beat OP and Will North in its own tournament before beating St. Joe’s on Wednesday.
10. Clarence girls swimming. The overall 2013-14 Power 10 No. 1 opens season Tuesday when it hosts Williamsville East.
Honor roll: Orchard Park, Williamsville North, Williamsville South and Wilson girls soccer; Barker field hockey; Newfane boys soccer; Alden, Jamestown, Orchard Park, Sweet Home and Depew football.