Falls girls break through with NFL win
The Niagara Falls girls soccer team has waited a long time to record a league win.
Niagara Falls notched its first Niagara Frontier victory in 10 years on Thursday, as Alexa Caputo scored all three goals in the Wolverines’ 3-0 victory at Kenmore West.
Elsewhere, Mount St. Mary’s went on the road to face Cardinal O’Hara in a nonleague matchup and came away with a 3-2 victory on senior midfielder Stephanie Hacherl’s winner.
At the Dunkirk Invitational, Springville got all it needed from Melanie Linsmair and Emily George in its 3-2 triumph over Lake Shore. Linsmair scored two goals and assisted on George’s goal. George was also credited with both assists on Linsmair’s scores.
Bari lifts Niagara-Wheatfield boys
Niagara-Wheatfield picked up another league victory as Jeremy Bari scored a pair of goals in 5-2 victory over Kenmore East in boys soccer.
Starpoint downed West Seneca, 4-1, in an ECIC II contest with Jake Ratka scoring a goal for Starpoint.
In the Holley Soccer Tournament, Chad Gilson scored the winning goal and Ethan Harpst added the other as Newfane defeated Section V Batavia, 2-1.
Kenmore West’s Kole Marquardt notched a goal in a 3-1 win over Niagara Falls.
Trevor McCabe and Peter Wilson each scored goals for North Tonawanda in its 2-1 triumph over Grand Island in Niagara Frontier action.
Hadaway blanks Medina
Mackenzie Hadaway didn’t let anything slip by her against Medina while registering a 4-0 shutout for Kenmore in field hockey.
Elsewhere, Michelle Myers fired in two goals as Wilson defeated Roy-Hart, 3-2.
Attention fall coaches
The News is asking coaches of all fall sports other than football to report their scores to us via email.
• Coaches from the winning team should email firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 minutes of the conclusion of their contest.
• Coaches need to provide the final score along with information they have traditionally called in to us:
• At least two “highlight” players (leading scorers or statistical standouts, game-winning goal and/or assist, goalkeeper and saves, etc.). Please include players’ first and last names, with the correct spellings, along with their position and year in school.
• Any other notable information. For example: if any records were broken (please also supply the old record); if teams have a lengthy win streak going (or had one broken); if it is the first time in several seasons that one school has beaten another; implications in the league standings.
• The winning team’s overall and league records, and their next game, especially if the next game is a big matchup.
• The head coach’s phone number so, if need be, so we can follow up to obtain more details and reaction about the game.
• Football scores should be called into The News as soon as possible on Friday nights via 849-4461. Callers should have the complete box score (including all scoring plays) as well as key statistics and plays from the game.
Friday Night Live
Every week, the place to monitor all of the Friday night action is BuffaloNews.com and the Prep Talk blog. We will have video reports, photos, live updates from several games (including play-by-play from our premier matchup of the night) and you will again be a part of the team via Twitter: Tweet updates with the #preptalklive hashtag and those will appear in our live blog.