College Night is Tuesday
The road to a college football career could begin on Tuesday night for seniors from Western New York. The 10th annual College Football Recruiting Night will give players with college aspirations and their parents an opportunity to meet face-to-face with college coaches.
The VFW Weber Post at 2909 South Park Avenue in Lackawanna, a new location from previous years, will host this year’s event starting 6 p.m. It is sponsored by the WNY Amateur Football Alliance and Section VI. The event is free
NCAA Division II and III coaches will be available to discuss a variety of recruiting issues. Players are welcome to bring game DVDs, other media, and/or high school transcripts.
For more info call Section VI Class AA co-chairman Len Jankiewicz at 901-5615.
Athletes sign letters
Several student/athletes have signed their national letters of intent:
• Alex O’Donnell of Starpoint has signed to play baseball for Canisius College. O’Donnell was first team All-WNY and third team All-NYS as a junior. The Golden Griffins reached the College World Series last spring.
• Seven Lancaster athletes signed their letters: JD Andreessen to Campbell University in North Carolina, Sarah Saba to Daemen for basketball, Nicole Filipski to Gannon for golf, Allie Stewart to Canisius College for lacrosse, Brooke Donnelly to Edinboro for lacrosse, Megan Warrington to Edinboro for volleyball and Ryan Stekl to Canisius for baseball. Andreessen will represent New York State at the home of the Miami Marlins in Miami, Fla. from Jan. 2-5 in the Power Showcase Home Run Derby and All-World/All-American Baseball Classic.
• Two Canisius High School athletes are going Division I as swimmer Jack Boyd is going to Harvard and John Conti has signed with Canisius for baseball.
• Two lacrosse players have signed with Roberts Wesleyan, which is located outside of Rochester. West Seneca East goalie Parker Phillips and John Wellington of Orchard Park will join the Division II school.
• Aaron Phillips of Cleveland Hill has signed with St. Bonaventure for baseball. He’s a three-sport athlete and an honor roll student.
• Patricia Beaulieu of Sacred Heart has signed to row for Canisius College. She’s represented her school as a member of the West Side Rowing Club.
• In softball, Stephanie Bielec of Niagara Falls has signed with Binghamton and Nicolette Jacobs of Niagara-Wheatfield signed with UB.
• Jacqueline Steck of the St. Mary’s volleyball team has signed with Daemen.