W.S. West off to good start
A different kind of futbol Friday kicked off the fall sports season Friday as it was a busy day for area soccer teams.
The West Seneca West boys team opened its season with relative ease in a tournament it has a knack for winning. West routed Springville, 9-1, in the first round of the 10th Annual Dan Durick Kickoff Tournament at Tonawanda.
Adam Tobias tied the school record for most assists in a game with three and also scored twice for the Indians, who have won this event five times.
Fellow senior Jake Bradford finished with four goals and two assists, scoring what proved to be the game-winning goal in the 17th minute, and sophomore Nate Roberts scored his first two varsity goals as two-time defending tournament champion West Seneca West earned a spot in tonight’s 7 p.m. final against Wilson. Sophomore David Mack also notched his first varsity goal and assist in the win.
Wilson advanced with a 3-0 win over Tonawanda as Stephen Lyman posted the shutout.
Cesar Carlin scored twice, while Joshua LiPuma had the other goal for the Lakemen.
Elsewhere, Shane Greene scored six goals to lead Hamburg to an 8-0 rout of North Tonawanda. Max Bailey added a goal and three assists.
Buckle your chin straps
The first football Friday of the season is getting closer, but for the first time this season area teams get to hit an opposing player.
Welcome to Scrimmage Saturday. Teams will get a first chance to see how they look against live competition that won’t hurt them in the win-loss column.
The big scrimmages on tap today include a six-way at Lockport starting at 9 a.m. The Lions welcome Sweet Home, St. Francis, Grand Island, Niagara-Wheatfield and Lancaster to Emmet Belknap Middle School.
Another interesting one features Clarence hosting last year’s state Class A runner-up and now Class AA North Division-member Williamsville North, Riverside and Starpoint at 9 a.m.
Niagara Falls hosts a four-way on its new field behind the high school at 10 a.m. Others in attendance include Williamsville East, Depew and Maple Grove. Canisius hosts Bennett, South Park and Williamsville South at noon at its Stransky Complex in West Seneca.
Other notable scrimmages include:
• Tonawanda hosts Springville at 9 a.m.
• St. Joe’s hosts Kenmore West at 9:30 a.m.
• Cleveland Hill hosts Burgard and Cardinal O’Hara at 9:30 a.m.
• Medina hosts (at Veterans Park) East and Wilson at 10 a.m.
• Alden hosts V-Attica at 10 a.m.
• Hamburg hosts Jamestown, Fredonia and East Aurora at 10 a.m.
• Iroquois (practice field below high school field) hosts Lackawanna and Frontier at 10 a.m.
• Cheektowaga hosts Portville and V-Cuba-Rushford at 10 a.m.
• Maryvale hosts St. Mary’s, JFK and Lake Shore at 10 a.m.
• Eden hosts Newfane at 11 a.m.
• Amherst hosts Lew-Port, Kenmore East and West Seneca West at 5 p.m.