Vikings nab 2 OT win
Ryan Ross scored in the second overtime to give Grand Island a 3-2 win over Lew-Port in both team’s Niagara Frontier League boys’ soccer opener.
The Vikings led, 1-0, at halftime. Then about 10 minutes into the second half, a Lew-Port player received a red card. But playing with a man up didn’t prove much an advantage for Grand Island.
Lew-Port tied the game at 1-1 then again at 2-2 with 40 seconds left in regulation.
Grand Island capitalized in the second overtime when goal keeper Justin Figler made a save and punted the ball to midfield. That’s where Ross received the ball, beat two players and shot it in the net from 16 yards out.
Attention fall coaches
The News is asking coaches of all fall sports other than football to report their scores to us via email.
Coaches from the winning team should email email@example.com within 30 minutes of the conclusion of their contest.
Coaches need to provide the final score along with information they have traditionally called in to us:
• At least two “highlight” players (leading scorers or statistical standouts, game-winning goal and/or assist, goalie and saves, etc.). Please include players’ first and last names, with the correct spellings, along with their position and year in school.
• Any other notable information. For example: if any records were broken (please also supply the old record); if teams have a lengthy win streak going (or had one broken); if it is the first time in several seasons that one school has beaten another; implications in the league standings.
• The winning team’s overall and league records, and their next game, especially if the next game it is a big matchup;
• The head coach’s phone number so, if need be, we can follow up to obtain more details and reaction about the game.
• Football scores should be called into The News as soon as possible on Friday nights via 849-4461. Callers should have the complete box score (including all scoring plays) as well as key statistics and plays from the game.