From the Friday Night Lights to Saturday afternoon homecoming games, BuffaloNews.com is the place to keep track of all of Western New York’s football action every weekend.
Review our #PrepTalkLive coverage from several of this weekend’s contests. There are video reports from wins by Jamestown, West Seneca East, Fredonia, Alden and Lockport. There are also galleries as well as live blogs of how the night transpired.
Our high school scoreboard page also has additional details from several games.
• Jamestown senior quarterback Jake Sisson, who set the Western New York single-game passing yardage mark (508) last week in a win at Kenmore West, ran for four long touchdowns (42, 29, 42, 53) as the Red Raiders roared to a 58-32 victory over previously unbeaten South Park Friday at Robert E. Rich All High Stadium.
• Brian Stoldt hit Austin Hopcia for an 11-yard touchdown with 19 seconds left to lift Alden to a 29-22, come-from-behind victory over visiting Hutch-Tech Friday night. The Bulldogs, who had trailed, 22-21, before the score, made it two straight weeks with thrilling comebacks after it beat Eden, 22-15, on a final-minute drive last Saturday.
• Junior Rodney Turner ran for 153 yards and two touchdowns on 28 carries to help Depew move to 3-0 with a 28-15 Class B South victory Friday at Springville.
• Jason Hellwig of Medina threw for two touchdowns and ran for another as the Mustangs moved to 3-0 with a 40-20 victory over Akron Friday night.
How they fared
1) St. Joe’s (3-0) beat Cardinal O’Hara, 53-16. Next week: vs. V-Aquinas.
2) Canisius (2-1) beat Walsh Jesuit (Ohio), 14-0. Next week: at St. Francis.
3) Jamestown (3-0) beat South Park, 58-32. Next week: vs. Lancaster.
4) Sweet Home (3-0) beat Starpoint, 37-6. Next week: vs. North Tonawanda.
5) Lockport (2-1) lost to Frontier, 23-0. Next week: at Niagara Falls.
6) Frontier (3-0) beat Lockport, 23-0. Next week: vs. West Seneca West.
7) West Seneca East (3-0) beat Iroquois, 34-6. Next week: at Hamburg.
8) Orchard Park (2-1) beat Clarence, 13-7. Next week: vs. Williamsville South.
9) Lancaster (3-0) beat Niagara Falls, 17-0. Next week: at Jamestown.
10) Grand Island (3-0) beat Niagara-Wheatfield, 13-7. Next week: vs. Kenmore East.
1) Alden (3-0) beat Hutch-Tech, 29-22. Next week: at Depew.
2) Depew (3-0) beat Springville, 28-15. Next week: vs. Alden.
3) Randolph (3-0) beat Frewsburg, 42-8. Next week: at Maple Grove.
4) Cleveland Hill (3-0) beat Wilson, 48-0. Next week: at Lackawanna.
5) Burgard (3-0) beat Lew-Port, 31-0. Next week: vs. Medina at All High Stadium.
6) St. Mary’s (3-0) beat Bishop Timon-St. Jude, 21-6. Next week: Bye.
7) Cheektowaga (2-1) beat Albion, 34-20. Next week: at Amherst.
8) Fredonia (3-0) beat Salamanca, 35-22. Next week: vs. Southwestern.
9) Eden (1-2) lost to East Aurora/Holland, 24-3. Next week: vs. Cardinal O’Hara.
10) Medina (3-0) beat Akron, 40-20. Next week: vs. Burgard at All High Stadium.
[BN] the know every week during the high school football season with PrepTalkTV’s live, half-hour show each Thursday at 7:30 p.m. Keith McShea will bring you interviews, analysis and features that you can find only at buffalonews.com.
Stay tuned after PrepTalkTV for another weekly feature, a live chat with McShea at 9 p.m. Anything regarding Western New York high school sports, or The News’ coverage of it, is up for discussion.
Here’s a quick look ahead at several key games on what is a tremendous weekend of big matchups:
• The annual small school showdown occurs at Depew this year as the Wildcats host Alden in a meeting of not only two top teams in Class B South but the top small schools in all of Western New York. Kickoff is Friday at 7:30 p.m.
• On Friday at 7, there is a Class C North showdown of two historic powers as Cleveland Hill plays at Lackawanna at 7.
• Class AA has a matchup of unbeatens with Lancaster making the trip to Jamestown’s Strider Field for a 7 p.m. kickoff Friday.
• Another annual clash is on the schedule, this time in Class D, as defending state champion Randolph plays fellow Class D superpower Maple Grove/Chautauqua Lake at 7 p.m. Friday.
• Canisius plays its first Monsignor Martin Association contest Friday at 7 as it plays at St. Francis.
• On Saturday at 1, perhaps the marquee game of the weekend has St. Joe’s hosting Rochester’s Aquinas, which debuted at the top of the New York State Sportswriters’ Class AA poll this week after last weekend’s 3-0 win over Canisius. The Lil’ Irish added an impressive victory over Ursuline (Ohio) on Saturday.
• An intriguing nonleaguer at 1 p.m. Saturday has Williamsville South of Class A South at Class AA’s Orchard Park in a meeting of programs which have had plenty of success in their respective classifications.
• Two Class A North 3-0 teams meet at 2 p.m. Saturday when resurgent Kenmore East plays at perennially strong Grand Island.
• At 4 p.m. Saturday, undefeated Class B North teams – and top 10 small schools – battle as Burgard takes on Medina at Robert E. Rich All High Stadium.