ADVERTISEMENT

Clint made his day

Clint Eastwood came to the rescue on the eve of the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, performing the Heimlich maneuver on the event’s chief executive at a dinner to honor volunteers.

“I saw that look in his eyes and saw that look of panic people have when they see their life passing before their eyes,” Eastwood told the Carmel Pine Cone, the local newspaper.

The event’s director, Steve John, was snacking on hors d’oeuvres Wednesday night when a piece of cheese got stuck in his throat, setting the stage for Eastwood’s rescue.

“Clint saved my life,” John told the paper, describing how the 83-year-old actor/director came up behind him, lifted him off the ground and performed the lifesaving maneuver.

“I gave him three good jolts, and that got it out,” Eastwood said, adding that he had never performed the Heimlich maneuver before, “except to practice.”

Luckily for John, the Hollywood icon was successful on his first time out.

“He’s strong!” John told the Pine Cone of Eastwood. “The cheese popped out, and I was fine.”

Prince starting out small

When Prince came to London a few years ago, he played more than 20 nights at the vast O2 arena. This time, he played a suburban living room to a dozen people.

The enigmatic star flew into London on Tuesday at the start of a still-evolving string of dates in support of the forthcoming album “Plectrum Electrum,” recorded with all-female trio 3RDEYEGIRL.

Details are being released in a trickle, but Prince said he planned to play “iconic” venues along the lines of music club the Bag o’ Nails – where Jimi Hendrix once played – storied rock venue Electric Ballroom and Ronnie Scott’s jazz club.

“We’ll work our way up, if people like us, to bigger venues,” Prince said.

His first stop was the East London home of British soul singer Lianne La Havas, who met Prince last year while she was touring the United States. The pair bonded over common musical tastes and a shared love of tea.

The trip to London, he said, is “open-ended.”

“We’re going to be here until people don’t want to hear us anymore.”

Star beats rape rap

A longtime star of the British soap opera “Coronation Street” was cleared Thursday of multiple charges of sexual assault against young girls.

A jury at Britain’s Preston Crown Court found 81-year-old William Roache, who plays Ken Barlow on the show, not guilty of four counts of indecent assault and two counts of rape.

Five women had accused Roache of assaulting them between 1965 and 1971, when they were age 16 or under. Prosecutors had argued that Roache took advantage of his fame to abuse star-struck girls and then keep them from speaking out.

But Roache said he did not know the women accusing him and had never assaulted anyone.

Roache was one of several veteran U.K. show business figures arrested after revelations that the late BBC entertainer Jimmy Savile was a serial sexual predator who abused scores of young people over several decades.