With the 2013 Video Music Awards now in our rear view, it’s time to take a thoughtful, considered look back at some of the evening’s high and low points.Some highlights:
• Most necessary reinvention: Kanye West, who needed to be seen as a thoughtful artist after months of Kardashian-related PR shenanigans.
• Best foreshadowing: “I really wanted to win the Best Rap video,” admitted Macklemore, upon winning Best Video With a Social Message for “Same Love.” Then he did. Crazy!
• People we’re pleasantly surprised to learn are still alive, part one: Lil’ Kim.
• People we’re pleasantly surprised to learn are still alive, part two: The other members of ’N Sync.
• Most endearing doofuses: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis.
• Least endearing doofus: Robin Thicke, who seemed like one of those creepy old Times Square peepshow viewers during Miley’s performance. The ones that have newspapers folded on their laps.
• Number of shots of Bruno Mars looking sad while wearing a fedora: One.
• Number of cuts to Miley Cyrus’ mom, Tish Cyrus, looking strangely approving of her daughter’s awkwardly sexualized acting out: One.
• Reasons why her daughter’s awkwardly sexualized acting out suddenly starts to make a lot more sense: See above.
• Number of times the camera cut to One Direction looking bored while someone more talented was doing something artistic: So, so many. Ten, maybe?