MEDINA – A Medina High School junior has been suspended from school, and he was arrested Sunday evening for allegedly threatening to harm other students at school today.
Medina Police Chief Jose Avila identified him as MacKenzie Barrett, 18. After Barrett was arrested at his home, he was arraigned in Shelby Town Court on a charge of making a terrorist threat, a Class D felony, and was remanded to Orleans County Jail in Albion in lieu of $25,000 bail.
Avila said the threat had been posted on social media, but he did not disclose the nature of the threat. He added that the investigation is continuing.
School Superintendent Jeffery Evoy reported an alleged threat in a message to parents on the school district website over the weekend. Evoy said disciplinary action would be taken against the student.
McEvoy’s message to parents in the school district said: “Late Friday evening, I was advised of an alleged threat made by a current Medina High School student regarding the individual’s plans to harm other Medina High School students at school on Monday. Upon learning of the alleged threat, district officials immediately contacted the Medina Police Department.”
“The district has suspended the student from school and is moving forward with a discipline proceeding regarding the alleged conduct,” the superintendent continued.
He added, “To protect the integrity of the investigation and proceeding, the district cannot provide further comment at this time.
“The Medina Central School District will continue to cooperate with the law enforcement agencies to ensure the safety and security of all students and staff. Please know that the safety of students and staff is our number one priority. Any threats will be dealt with in a serious manner. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at 798-2700. Thank you for your ongoing support.”