ADVERTISEMENT

A Town of Lockport man was taken to Erie County Medical Center early today after suffering burns when he was splattered with hot oil while attempting to extinguish a cooking fire in his apartment on Lincoln Place, Niagara County Sheriff’s office reported today.

Patrol and fire companies responding to a call about a posible structure fire at 6557 Lincoln Place around 1:40 a.m. found heavy smoke coming from the building. All but one apartment had already been evacuated but patrol alerted the remaining three occupants in a third-floor apartment to evacuate.

The sheriff reported the man living in Apartment H had fallen asleep while heating vegetable oil on the stove, then awoke to find the oil on fire. He was attempting to remove the pan from the stove when it popped and splattered him with hot oil, causing minor burns to his torso, arms and foot. A South Lockport firefighter also suffered cuts from glass to his left and right hands and was taken to Eastern Niagara Hospital in Lockport for treatment.

The Sheriff’s Department said fire damage was contained to apartment H and a second apartment sustained minor water damage

The Red Cross was called to the scene to help with lodging for four adults and three children.