This year promises to be another busy year for home- and garden-related events designed to inspire, inform and, well, just provide some fun.
Since it’s never too early to plan, here’s a look at some of them. Mark your calendars, and keep an eye on the Friday Home & Style section for other tours, walks and shows you won’t want to miss.
• The WNY Home & Garden Expo comes to the Fairgrounds Event Center and Expo Hall in Hamburg on Feb. 20-23. This year’s expo features Taniya Nayak from the Food Network and HGTV. It also includes a showcase home to tour, a wine and food garden, cooking demonstrations, a wide range of vendors and more. Further information can be found at www.wnyhomeandgarden.com. Or call (814) 725-3856.
• The Buffalo Home Show is scheduled for two weekends – March 7-9 and March 14-16 – at the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center. Information regarding tickets, exhibitors, seminars, contests and more can be found at www.buffalohomeshow.com. Celebrity guest Kevin O’Connor, host of “This Old House,” is scheduled to appear March 8. On March 15, attention turns to zoologist and pet expert Jarod Miller – and whatever animals he brings along.
• Plantasia, the garden and landscape show, opens to the public March 20-23 at the Fairgrounds in Hamburg. This is the place to see theme gardens, hear seminars, meet vendors, visit a children’s discovery garden and more. Further information will be coming to the website, www.plantasiany.com, where you can also check out photos from last year’s show. Plantasia is presented by the Western New York State Nursery and Landscape Association, now known as PLANT WNY.
• The 16th annual Parkside Tour of Homes is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May 18. You can buy tickets and learn more on the Parkside Community Association website, www.parksidebuffalo.org, where you’ll also read about other upcoming PCA events.
• Tickets also are on sale for the sixth annual Lewiston Region Tour of Kitchens & Homes on June 7 and 8. Each home features a local chef serving up samples of a signature dish. Professionally designed table settings – or “tablescapes” – also will be displayed in the homes. Tickets are $27 at www.TourofKitchens.net. Or call 745-9583.
Proceeds will benefit the Historical Association of Lewiston and the Town of Porter Historical Society.
Then, come summer, there are numerous garden walks and tours throughout the region that are in the planning stages now. Most are part of the multi-week National Garden Festival, www.nationalgardenfestival.com, which includes the nationally acclaimed Garden Walk Buffalo, held annually on the last weekend of July (July 26-27 this year). Read more at www.gardenwalkbuffalo.com and watch for dates of all the upcoming walks and tours in this section closer to the season.
Remember, too, that Buffalo Tours – Preservation Buffalo Niagara’s education and tourism program – offers a variety of tours. Check them out at www.preservationbuffaloniagara.org/buffalo-tours. Visit Buffalo Niagara lists other tours as well, www.visitbuffaloniagara.com.
Also worth a note: July 4th is on a Friday this year. There’s plenty of time to plan something extra special.