A number of community activities have been affected by today’s winter weather and the prospect of worsening conditions tonight and Tuesday:
• Although Erie County employees are to report to work, county offices – including health clinics and the Department of Social Services – will be closed to the public on Tuesday.
• A forum to discuss the state’s Common Core education standards, which was scheduled for tonight at Niagara County Community College, has been canceled. It will be rescheduled.
• All Genesee County grand jurors summoned for Tuesday have been directed not to report. Instead, they should report Jan. 14.
• The John Duke Senior Center and LaSalle Senior Facility in Niagara Falls will be closed Tuesday.
• Voice Buffalo has canceled tonight’s board of directors meeting.
• The City of Buffalo Department of Public Works has suspended garbage and recycling pick up for Tuesday. Residents are asked not to put any garbage or recycling totes at the curb.
• The Buffalo Public Schools have canceled all after-school and Adult Education programs for today.
• All Wyoming County grand jurors summoned for Tuesday are to report at 9 a.m. Wednesday instead at the courthouse at 147 North Main Street, Warsaw. Those with questions may contact the Wyoming County Commissioner of Jurors Office at (585) 786-8756 or www.nycourts.gov
• A HEAP outreach session sponsored by County Legislator John Mills, which was scheduled for Tuesday at Boston Town Hall, has been postponed. A new date will be announced as soon as possible.
• The city of Lackawanna has issued an advisory warning against unnecessary travel and has cancelled Tuesday garbage collection. The Lackawanna City Council reorganization meeting, scheduled for Monday night, has been postponed until further notice; Lackawanna City Hall will be closed today and only emergency personnel are to report for work.
• The town of Lockport’s garbage contractor cancelled Tuesday collection because of expected wind chills. Customers slated for Tuesday collection will have their garbage picked up on Saturday.
• The Southtowns education summit scheduled for Tuesday night in Aurora Town Hall, sponsored by East Aurora, Holland and Iroquois teachers, has been postponed until 6:30 p.m. Jan. 16.
• All Cheektowaga trash and recycling pickup scheduled for Tuesday has been canceled. Pickup will be one day late for the remainder of the week.
• Roswell Park Cancer Institute announced that Tuesday surgeries will be delayed two hours. Surgical patients are asked to call ahead at 845-8476. Other services will proceed as planned.
Schools closed Tuesday, as reported by districts and area media outlets, include:
• Alden Central School District
• Cheektowaga Central Schools
• Cleveland Hill School District
• Newfane Central School District
• Niagara Falls City Schools
• Niagara Wheatfield Central School District
• North Tonawanda City Schools
• Portville Central School• West Seneca Central Schools
• Salamanca City Central School District
• Tonawanda City Schools
• Wilson Central School District