Veterans counseling in Hamburg has expanded from one day a month to four days per week.
“We knew there was a need for a counselor in the southtowns and unfortunately, we were only able to have one in Hamburg one day a month to start. After the program was up and running, the need was obvious,” Town Clerk Cathy Rybczynski said. “I continued to press state officials for someone on a permanent basis.”
Counseling is provided by New York State’s Division of Veterans Affairs, which has a mission to provide service, advocacy and counseling for New York veterans and their families to ensure they receive benefits granted by law.
Tracy Kinn, a Marine Corps veteran and state veteran counselor for more than a decade, assists individuals in reviewing eligibility for special benefits, provides help in obtaining supporting documentation and filing of claims and, when necessary, in appealing unfavorable decisions.
She is located in Conference Room 2 at Hamburg Town Hall from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. For an appointment, call 649-6111, Ext. 2388 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Also this week:
• The Town Board will hold a work session at 6 p.m. Monday in Conference Room No. 1, followed by a regular meeting at 7 p.m. in the board room in Town Hall, 6100 South Park Ave.
• The Hamburg Chamber of Commerce 29th annual golf tournament will take place at 11 a.m. Monday at Brierwood Country Club.
• The Hamburg Village Planning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall, 100 Main St.
• The Blasdell Farmers Market is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the parking lot of Ilio DiPaolo’s Restaurant, 3785 South Park Ave.
• The state Department of Transportation will conduct a public information meeting the proposed restriping of South Park Avenue (Route 62) from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Big Tree Fire Hall, 4307 South Park Ave. A formal presentation of the project will be given at 6:30 p.m. The state is proposing to restripe South Park Avenue from four lanes to two lanes with a two-way, center turn lane from Big Tree Road to Milestrip Road.
• The Hamburg Farmer’s market runs from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in the municipal parking lot between Main and Union streets.
• The Hamburg High School Alumni Foundation will conduct its fourth annual Wall of Fame Induction ceremony, at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Grange Building at the Erie County Fairgrounds.