ADVERTISEMENT

A small fire caused some big hassles Sunday morning for guests of Staybridge Suites Buffalo at 164 Slade Ave. in West Seneca.

The 10 a.m. fire, which erupted in the kitchenette of a third-floor room and set off a sprinkler alarm system, led to the evacuation of 83 guests, in addition to hotel employees.

Startled by a blaring fire alarm, some of the guests were still wearing pajamas, sweatpants and other less-than-stylish sleepwear as they hustled outside.

There were no injuries to anyone from the hotel, or any of the four volunteer fire companies that responded, according to Chief Eric Conley of the Seneca Volunteer Hose Company.

Conley credited hotel staffers and firefighters for the safe and orderly evacuation of the hotel, which is off Ridge Road.

“Everybody got out safely, and that’s the important thing,” Conley said. “The fire was put out quickly by the sprinkler system, and it was confined to the kitchen area where it started. There was water damage on the third floor and floors below.”

“At least I’m alive,” said one guest, Sandy Sword, 70, of Chicago. “I can’t say I enjoyed rushing down six flights of stairs.”

A health care consultant who has been staying at Staybridge for several months, Sword said she heard a very loud alarm go off at about 10 a.m.

“I called down to the desk and asked, ‘Do we really have to leave?’ They said, ‘Yes, you do,’ ” Sword said. “I started heading downstairs.”

She and other guests rushed outside and were offered coffee and breakfast at the Country Inn & Suites hotel, also on Slade. At 11:20 a.m., a hotel manager told them it would probably be at least two hours until they could return to their rooms.

At least 50 volunteers from the Seneca Hose, Vigilant, West Seneca Reserve Hose and Winchester fire companies responded to the scene, in addition to police officials and an ambulance crew.

The six-story hotel has 105 guest rooms. No loss estimate was released, but authorities said damage was minimal.

email: dherbeck@buffnews.com