A black sport utility vehicle near a gasoline pump caught fire around 9:30 p.m. Sunday at the Amherst University Mobil station at 3652 Sheridan Drive, near Millersport Highway, slightly damaging the convenience store and forcing it to close temporarily.
Firefighters from the Eggertsville Hose Company extinguished the blaze within 10 minutes, according to an Amherst Fire Control spokesman.
The vehicle was totaled, and damage to the store was estimated at $2,000. No injuries were reported, authorities said.
The driver of the vehicle saw smoke under its hood while on Millersport and pulled into the gas station parking lot, according to Chief Brian Multerer of the Eggertsville Hose Company.
“Heat from the fire may have caused a couple of the windows on the side of the store to crack,” said Multerer, who said the cause of the fire is believed to be electrical.
A store employee said the convenience store was closed for about three hours and reopened around midnight.
The station’s gasoline pumps were out of service this morning while crews worked to refill the surrounding fire-suppression system, which discharged during the blaze, Multerer said.