Town of Tonawanda
Five sports organizations are feeling the pinch of budget constraints after the Town Board cut its financial assistance by 20 percent.
Last Monday, the board terminated agreements approved last spring with the Town of Tonawanda Aquettes, the Town of Tonawanda Titans, the Town of Tonawanda Football Association, the Town of Tonawanda Lightning and the Ken-Ton Soccer Association.
Under new, one-year agreements, the Aquettes synchronized swim club will receive $12,000, while the Titans competitive swim program and the youth football program will each receive $8,000.
The Lightning travel hockey program saw its complimentary ice time cut for its annual tournament in March. The travel soccer program will receive $4,000.
Councilman Joe Emminger said a $2 million increase in the town’s health insurance costs and $1 million increase in its utility costs were part of the reason for the cuts.
• A work session of the Kenmore Village Board begins at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the mayor’s office at the Municipal Building, 2919 Delaware Ave. A regular meeting follows at 8 in Council Chambers.
• The town’s Planning Board meets at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Room 21 at the Municipal Building.
• Tickets for the Northtowns Boys & Girls Clubs’ fundraiser, auction and 75th anniversary celebration are available online at www.bgcnt.net. Bid 4 Kids will be held Sept. 12 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. at AcQuA Restaurant. The evening will include live entertainment, a demonstration from Lake Erie fly boarding and the auction of a Cadillac ATS. Tickets are $75 for general admission and $150.00 for VIP admission.
• Fall registration for Ken-Ton Community Education begins Tuesday. For more information, visit www.kenton.k12.ny.us/ce_register or call 874-8500.
• Mini-golf course Adventure Landing, 2400 Sheridan Drive, is taking part in a nationwide fundraiser to provide college scholarships and long-term educational counseling to children who have lost a parent in the line of military duty. For a $5 donation during September, customers will receive a free round of mini-golf with the purchase of a round. Putt for the Fallen will benefit the Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation.