Town of Tonawanda
Friday is the deadline to apply for scholarships being offered by the Kenmore Village Improvement Society.
Applications will be accepted from residents of the village or town, age 21 or younger, who’ve been accepted into four-year bachelor degree programs at accredited colleges or universities. Four scholarships will be awarded.
There are additional requirements to apply. Call the society’s office at 877-0477 for more information.
Also this week:
• Kenmore United Methodist Church is holding a chicken barbecue from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. today at the church, 32 Landers Road. Tickets are $10, with proceeds benefiting missions to women, children and youth. Meals can be eaten at the church or picked up at a drive-thru.
• A series of free workshops conducted by certified housing counselors from Belmont Housing Resources are scheduled for this week.
From 9 to 11 a.m. Monday, a workshop geared toward tenants will cover topics including building your renter’s resume, avoiding rental scams, creating a realistic spending plan, apartment red flags and life as a tenant. From 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, a free landlord workshop will examine fair housing laws, finding reliable tenants, leases and rental policies and the eviction process.
Both workshops will be held in the Parkside Village Community Building, 169 Sheridan Drive. Call 871-8847, ext. 2, for more information.
• Buffalo Niagara Concert Band is giving a free performance from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday in Kenmore East High School, 350 Fries Road. For more information, visit www.bncb.org.
• A Community Health & Wellness Fair-Open House is being held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Schofield Residence Nursing Facility, 3333 Elmwood Ave. Admission is free and a variety of health screenings will be available.
• Good Shepherd Lutheran Church Food Pantry is holding a pasta and meatball dinner and basket auction from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday at the church, 2669 Sheridan Drive. Tickets are $8 for adults; $5 for children; and kids younger than 5 eat for free. Dinners are eat-in or take out. All proceeds will benefit the food pantry.
• Registration continues for the Town of Tonawanda Aquatic and Fitness Center’s annual 5K Run, which will be held May 9. The registration fee is $20 through Thursday, then will increase to $25. Call 876-7424 for more information.