Town of Tonawanda
The Ken-Ton School District is holding a free Legislative Advocacy Workshop Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Kenmore West’s Goulding Theater.
The workshop is geared towards educating supporters and community stakeholders on how to advocate effectively. It is geared towards first-time advocates and those who want to sharpen their advocacy skills.
Board Vice President Stephen Brooks will focus on teaching skills to be an effective advocate at the local and state level, although the skills and information can be applied to national issues as well.
The workshop comes a week after the board unanimously approved a resolution asking state and federal education officials to limit reliance on standardized testing as a measure of student achievement.
Reservations may be requested by e-mailing Board President Bob Dana at email@example.com with your name, address and phone number.
Also this week:
• The monthly meeting of Kenmore Village Improvement Society begins at 7 p.m. Monday in Kenmore Community Center, Wilber and Mang avenues.
• School tax payments will be accepted until 8 p.m. Tuesday in the Tonawanda Town Clerk’s office, Room 14 of the municipal building.
• The Kenmore Village Board meets at 8 p.m. Tuesday in council chambers at the municipal building. A work session begins at 6:30 in the mayor’s office.
• A regular meeting of the town Zoning Board of Appeals is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in Council Chambers at the Municipal Building.
• Hoover Elementary School will have an assembly to kick off the Parents as Reading Partners reading program on Friday at 9:30 a.m. in the Hoover Complex Auditorium, 199 Thorncliff Road.
• The Ken-Ton Chamber of Commerce and the Kenmore Merchants Association will hold a “Meet the Candidates Night” on Oct. 22 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Village Square Catering, 2878 Delaware Avenue. Candidates in November’s general election from the Village of Kenmore, Town of Tonawanda and the 3rd and 4th Legislative Districts will each give a brief presentation followed by an open forum Q&A session. Complimentary light refreshments and a cash bar will be available. Attendees are asked to RSVP to the Chamber Office by Friday. Call 874-1202 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.