Southern Erie County
Collins volunteer firefighters will be purchasing new self-contained breathing apparatus with $216,482 from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
“ It’s crucial that we provide our fire departments support to purchase the equipment they need to do their jobs to the best of their ability,” said Senator Charles E. Schumer.
“Every day first responders put their lives on the line to protect our families and keep our communities safe,” added Senator Kirsten Gillibrand.
The funds will be used to buy bottles, face pieces and air packs to replace 25 self-contained breathing apparatus, which are about 20 years old.
There are 87 active volunteers in the Collins Fire District, operating from two different firehouses. The grant allotment is more than the district’s annual budget of about $200,000, plus fundraising.
• The Boston Planning Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in Town Hall, 8500 Boston State Road.
• A meeting of the Springville-Griffith Institute School Board starts at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the high school’s library, 290 N. Buffalo St.
• An Evans Town Board work session begins at 6:15 p.m. Wednesday in Town Hall, 8787 Erie Road, Angola.
•A presentation on the history of Springville sites – including Cascade Park, the BR&P Railroad and Springville Country Club – begins at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Cascade Park. The event is sponsored by Springville Country Club and Concord Historical Society.
• The Eden Town Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in Town Hall, 2795 E. Church St.
• A public hearing on an unsafe building, a vacant home at 7148 Olean Road, will be held when the Holland Town Board meets at 8 p.m. Wednesday in Town Hall, 47 Pearl St.
• A meeting of the Concord Town Board begins at 7 p.m. Thursday in Town Hall, 86 Franklin St., Springville.
• Springville’s Concerts in the Park series begins Thursday, with the Kokomo Time Band performing tropical and oldies music. Concerts are from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in Fiddlers Green Park, Buffalo and Franklin streets. If it rains, concerts will move to the Concord Town Hall, 86 Franklin St.
• Colden Community Farmer’s Market is held from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in the parking lot of the Bread of Life Outreach Center, 8745 Supervisor Ave.