Southern Erie County
The Springville Pageant of Bands returns next weekend, beginning Friday with the jazz ensemble competition in Springville-Griffith Institute’s High School Auditorium.
The competition runs from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday at the North Buffalo Street school. There will be a break from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m., when local jazz great Bobby Militello will run a jazz clinic.
All are welcome. Militello also will perform Friday evening at the Springville Center for the Arts, 37 N. Buffalo St.
Saturday has a full slate of performances and a parade.
Concert performances will be held in the school auditorium from 8:30 a.m. to noon. A percussion and color guard competition will be held from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the gym.
The parade through downtown Springville starts at 1:30 p.m. Saturday.
The Kiwanis Club of Springville and Springville-Griffith Institute have co-sponsored the Pageant of Bands since 1963. Also this week:
• Aurora Waldorf School, for children in pre-school to eighth grade, will hold an open house from 9 to 10 a.m. Tuesday at 525 West Falls Road, West Falls. Call 655-2029 for more information.
• Springville-Griffith Institute’s School Board will hold a budget hearing and regular meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the library at the high school, 290 N. Buffalo St., Springville.
• A meeting of the Boston Planning Board begins at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in Town Hall, 8500 Boston State Road.
• The American Red Cross has scheduled its CPR and lifeguarding classes for Wednesday at Springville-Griffith Institute High School, 290 N. Buffalo St., Springville. A water skills class will be taught from 5 to 6:30 p.m. in the pool and a CPR class will be offered from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in Room 121.
The cost is $60 for both classes; the CPR class alone is $35. Make checks payable to Karen Reynolds. For online registration, visit the district’s website at www.springvillegi.org.
• The Evans Town Board is holding a work session at 6:15 p.m. Wednesday in Town Hall, 8787 Erie Road.
• Springville-Griffith Institute School District residents may register to vote from noon to 8 p.m. Thursday at the high school, 290 N. Buffalo St., Springville; Colden Elementary School, 8263 Boston Colden Road, Colden; or Collins Center Fire Hall, 3514 Main St., Collins.
• A pickleball demonstration will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the village tennis courts on South Central Avenue, Springville. If rained out, the event will occur at 10:30 a.m. Monday. No experience is required and equipment will be provided for the racket sport. For more details, call the Springville Concord Elder Network at 592-7599.
• St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 591 E. Main St., Springville, is hosting a book sale, theme basket auction and flower sale from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
• St. Aloysius Regional School in Springville will hold the grand drawing for its “Big Money Raffle” at 6:30 p.m. Saturday in the Springville Volunteer Fire Company hall. Tickets cost $75. For more details, call Sue Jozwiak at 592-5787.
• The Hike 4 Hunger to benefit the Food Pantry Outreach is scheduled for next Sunday at Sprague Brook Park in Concord. To volunteer or for more information, call 592-4455.