Southern Erie County
The public is invited to a noon Veterans Day ceremony to rededicate the Iroquois High School veterans memorial monument now located next to the flag pole between the Intermediate and Middle School on Girdle Road.
The memorial honors four Iroquois alumni: SP4 Eric Jednat, PFT1st class Milton Snow Jr. and CWO Edward Shanahan, killed in Vietnam, and Sgt. Mark Rademacher killed in Grenada.
Veterans from the Elma VFW Post 5861 and the Sgt. Mark Rademacher Tri-Town V.F.W. Post 7795 S will be present.
Rev. Carole Grant-White will give the invocation. Wounded Iraq war veteran Mark O’Brien will be key note speaker. Coffee and donuts will follow at a reception in the Middle School.
2006 Iroquois alumni Andy Paluch who built the original memorial as an Eagle Scout project in 2003 organized the event. Paluch, whose parents live in South Wales, is an airline pilot for Cape Air in Vermont.
Also this week:
• Eden Town Board meeting at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 13 at Eden Town Hall, 2795 East Church St.
• The Elma Fire Co. Auxiliary will hold a french toast breakfast from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday at the Elma Fire Social Hall, 2945 Bowen Road. Tickets are $9 adults and $5.50 for children 10 and under.
• VFW Post 5861 will gather at the veterans memorial in front of the Elma Town Hall, 1600 Bowen Road at 11 a.m. Monday to commemorate Veterans Day. Donuts and coffee will follow in the town hall. The public is invited.
• The Elma Historical Society will hold a theme basket, pork and chicken dinner at the Community Center, 3007 Bowen Road at 6 p.m. Monday. Tickets are adults $12, children $6. Basket tickets are $5 per card. Reservations call Eileen at 652-0648.
• The Elma Library Board of Trustees will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the library, 1860 Bowen Road.
• The Elma Town Board will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday in a work session at the Town Hall, 1600 Bowen Road.
• The Elma Library will hold a program titled “Pop Up Creations” at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday for children ages 8-12 at 1860 Bowen Road. Registration needed call 652-2719.
• There will be a vendor and craft show at the Elma Primary Building 711 Rice Road from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Admission is free. There will be basket raffles, baked goods, and free samples from vendors.
• The Marilla veterans will line up at 12:30 p.m. Sunday at the fire hall on West Ave. for a parade beginning at 1 p.m. down Two Rod Road to Bullis Road. There, a ceremony will be held, as well as the unveiling of a new Blue Star Memorial plaque honoring all Armed Forces has been mounted on a boulder at the veterans memorial. Elaine DiPietro will do the dedication. Refreshments provided by the Town will be served by the Kiwanis Club members at the Community Center, 1810 Two Rod Road after the ceremony. The public is invited.
• The Marilla Conservation Advisory Board will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at Town Hall, 1840 Two Rod Road.
• The Town of Wales Veterans Day Program and dedication of military flag poles from the Sgt. Mark Rademacher Post 7795, Veterans of Foreign Wars, will take place at 11 a.m. Monday at Veterans Park, 12345 Big Tree Road, Wales Center. A Veterans luncheon will follow the ceremony.
• The Town of Wales will hold a board meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Community Center, 12345 Big Tree Road.