Southern Erie County
The 49th Discover America Road Rally will be conducted at noon Oct. 20 in Boston.
Registration starts at 9:30 a.m. at the Patchin Fire Company, 8333 Boston State Road, Boston. The rally will wind its way through 105 miles over Southern Tier roads to finish at Holland Willows Restaurant in Holland.
Last year more than 65 crews competed in the family event, which requires no special car preparation or equipment. Vehicles leave a starting point individually, at a recorded time, and are directed by printed instructions to follow a route to the finish. All route instructions are provided at the start line, but the route will take competitors from Boston to Arcade to Holland while traveling roads in Erie, Cattaraugus, and Wyoming counties.
For more information contact Tom Krajewski at 941-6504, or go to www.rallywny.com">www.rallywny.com.
Also this week:
• The Elma Library Board of Trustees will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Library, 1860 Bowen Road.
• The Elma Zoning Board of Appeals will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Town Hall, 1600 Bowen Road to discuss a request for a non-conforming variance from Ken Kechlin, owner of a vacant building at 8351 Clinton St.
• The Elma Town board will meet in a work session at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the town hall, 1600 Bowen Rd. to review the 2014 tentative budget.
• “Wind Power” – a blend of music and science – will be presented at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Elma Public Library, 1860 Bowen Road, by multi-instrumentalist Curt Steinzor who will explain and perform the Irish tin whistle, Baroque recorder, classical clarinet and digital wind controller. The 45-minute program is suitable for children and families.
• A Zombiefest will be held Saturday at the Jamison Business Park, 611 Jamison Road. The free event will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and feature a visit from Mercy Flight at 11 a.m., a bounce house, water hockey, a tour of emergency vehicles, a zombie zip line and obstacle course, self-defense demo by the Red Dragons, and food by the primary sponsor Steuben Foods.
• Saturday, the Elma Fire Auxiliary will hold its annual Fall Flea Market from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Elma Fire Company social Hall, 2945 Bowen Rd. Tables are $15 and to reserve call 668-5757.
• The Marilla Town Board will meet in a work session at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the upper room of the town hall, 1840 Two Rod Rd.
• The Marilla Town Board meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Thursday when the 2014 budget will be released.
• The Marilla Fire Company Benevolent Fall Sportsman Raffle will be held at the Firemen’s Recreation Hall, Two Rod Road from 1 to 6 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are $25. The first raffle will be held at 1:15 p.m.
• The Wales Town Board will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Community Center at 12345 Big Tree Road. On the agenda will be a public hearing on suggestions for a community development block grant followed by the meeting which will include a vote on the preliminary budget for 2014.
• The Kiwanis Club of Wales will hold its annual chicken and rib barbecue dinner at the Wales Center Fire Hall, 12300 Big Tree Road (20A) from noon until sold out next Sunday, Oct. 13. Dinners will be by BW’s Barbecue and can be eaten in or taken out. Proceeds benefit local youth projects.