Southern Erie County
The Elma Town Board will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the town hall, 1600 Bowen Road. starting with a public hearing on Community Block Development Grants.
The public is urged to suggest uses for a grant that will benefit senior citizens, people who are low to moderate income, blighted areas or people with disabilities.
Also, supervisor Dennis Powers will present his 2014 Tentative Budget to the Board.
And the agenda will be a business use permit for High Gloss Kustomz, 8351 Clinton St.; agreements with Meals on Wheels, EMW Soccer and EMW Football for 2014.; and the rescinding of a permit for 1600 South Restaurant on Seneca St.
Also this week
• There will be a meeting of the Union Cemetery Association of Springbrook at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Elma Senior Citizens Building, 3007 Bowen Road.
• The Southtowns Piece Makers Quilting Guild will hold a quilt show, “Quilting Treasures” at Crossroads Christian Church, corner of Jamison and Girdle Roads in Elma from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday. There will be a quilt raffle, boutique, and theme baskets, with proceeds to benefit City Mission, Women’s Shelter, Food Bank of WNY, and Wings of Mercy. Admission is $5.
• The Elma, Marilla and Wales Boys and Girls Club is holding a raffle ticket sale. Cost of each raffle ticket is $50 for a Dash For Cash Fundraiser. There will be drawings between 7-10 p.m. Friday at Holland Willows during an adults only party (21 and older). There will be 100 cash prizes with a grand prize of $10,000. Call club at 652-9292 for tickets.
• An early bird rummage sale will be held from 6 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Annunciation School Gymnasium, Clinton St. and Girdle Road, Elma. Admission is $3. Donations will be accepted in the gym on Friday between noon and 6 p.m. Please no electronics or household appliances. The fall rummage sale will resume Saturday, from 9 a.m. to noon. Admission is $1.
• The Annual Pumpkin Festival will be take place between 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Elma Village Green Park, 3007 Bowen Road. A free shuttle will be available at Town Hall, 1600 Bowen Road. There is limited parking at the park.
Children will get a ticket for a free pumpkin to take home. The Elma Historical Society will demonstrate apple pressing with the water wheel at the sawmill.
There will be face painting, alpacas, a puppet show, cider, donuts, popcorn and hot dogs.