Southern Erie County
Multiple technology upgrades greeted students at Annunciation School in Elma this year.
Funds provided by parishioners of Annunciation Catholic Church provided a new interactive white board in the kindergarten classroom, along with 12 new laptops and 12 new personal computers for student use. Ten new iPads and laptops for teacher development were purchased through BOCES grant money. Throughout the fall and winter seasons, a new SmartBoard will be installed in the first grade classroom, and 24 laptops and 12 tablets will be added.
The school also has received seven new personal computers through state educational funds, along with new reading, math and spelling programs. Through the “Ed Tech” program, the school was the recipient of wireless Internet and several additional laptop computers. A grant from Ronald McDonald House Charities will provide a new SmartBoard for the Pre-K classroom and two iPads for teacher development.
Annunciation School serves children from the Alden, Alexander, Attica, Cheektowaga, Depew, East Aurora, Holland, Iroquois, Lancaster, Orchard Park and West Seneca school districts.
Also this week:
• The Boston Conservation Advisory Committee will meet at 7:45 p.m. Tuesday in Town Hall, 8500 Boston State Road.
• The Eden Zoning Board meeting will be conducted at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Town Hall, 2795 East Church St.
• The Eden Central School Board will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Jr./Sr. High School cafeteria, 3150 Schoolview Road.
• A town wide garage sale will take place in Eden Saturday.
• The Elma Planning Board will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday, September 17 at the Town Hall, 1600 Bowen Road.
• The Elma Town Board will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Town Hall. The meeting will start with a public hearing on a request from American Grill, Seneca St. to use the grounds behind the restaurant which are in Elma, for a picnic grove. The site of the restaurant is in East Aurora.
The agenda for the meeting also includes a negative declaration for a permit for Northeast Fluid Power, 717 Jamison Road; a permit application from 16 S. Fire, Grill and Lounge at 7200 Seneca St. (The former Mia’s Restaurant); annual contracts between the town and Elma, Marilla and Wales Soccer and Football; an agreement with Meals and Wheels; approval of new financial payroll accounting software for the Town Hall; and setting a date for a public hearing for Community Development Block Grant applications.
• The Holland School Board changed the date of the regular board meeting this month to Sept. 25, due to a scheduling conflict with the superintendent. Future board meetings will continue to be held on the fourth Monday of the month. Start times have been changed from 7 p.m. to 6 p.m. All board meetings will be held at the former Middle School auditorium on Partridge Road.
• The 8th annual Ag Day at the community grounds at Two Rod and Bullis Roads in Marilla from noon to 5 p.m. today.
The family friendly and fun event which celebrates the town’s agricultural history will include a tractor and engine show, live music with Danny Lynn Wilson Acoustic Band and Craig Wilkins Country Band. Chainsaw Artist Matt Hannah will show off his wood carvings.
Clam chowder, pulled pork, hot dogs, roast beef, kettle corn and pie slices will be among food available. There will also be animals, contests, vintage tractors and equipment demonstrations, giveaways and treats. Further inquiries can be made by contacting Warren Handley 652-2278. The event will be held rain or shine.
• A Farmland Protection Meeting will be held at the Community Center, 1840 Two Rod Road in Marilla at 7 p.m. Tuesday This is the last public input meeting before a final plan is presented to the boards in October.
• The Marilla Planning board will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in Marilla Town Hall, 1740 Two Rod Road.