What you need to know: The School Board reduced transportation expenses by $97,000, resulting in group pickups of students instead of buses driving down side streets to pick up children. Also, school buses will no longer operate in the Weller subdivision to take students to any of the district’s three schools. The savings come from layering bus runs differently and saving on bus staffing and gasoline expenses. Also, several bargaining units agreed to take a furlough day without pay; and the teachers’ union accepted a reduction in health benefits. The budget includes a 30 percent reduction in stipends tied to faculty paid for their help with musicals and extracurricular events, along with a $16,000 cut in athletics.
Candidates (Elect 3):
• Michael Breeden (i)
• Michael N. Byrnes (i)
• R. Colin Campbell (i), 48, partner in Cambell & Shelton LLP law firm, served on Board of Directors of Boys and Girls Club of Eden
• Gary E. Sam, 27, food safety and quality assurance executive at Father Sam’s Bakery, Buffalo, Eden schools graduate, served in Marine Corps
Click here for more information on the candidates, including their positions on key issues: http://elections.buffalonews.com/electionresults/com/16
Total budget: $26,396,480, up 2.62 percent
Tax levy*: $13.28 million up 1.78 percent
Tax levy increase allowed under tax cap: 1.78 percent
Estimated property tax rate per $1,000 of assessed value: $30.70 in Eden, up 6.19 percent; $19.65 in North Collins, up 2.97 percent; $19.65 in Evans, up 2.97 percent; $19.84 in Boston, up 2.97 percent; and $42.70 in Concord, up 2.97 percent.
• Purchase of various school buses and vehicles in an amount not to exceed $260,000.
• Approve a capital reserve fund not greater than $8 million plus interest.
• Approve a proposition for the district to undertake a study for the reconstruction and renovation of various district buildings to implement health, safety, accessibility and code compliance measures at a cost of no more than $20,000.
Polls open: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. at Eden Junior/Senior High School, 3150 Schoolview Road.