What you need to know: Both staff and programs were reduced to achieve a $31.7 million spending plan for 2014-15 which calls for a 2.91 percent increase in the tax levy, the maximum allowed under the tax cap. Staff cuts included six faculty positions, one custodial, one technical position, two aides and a part-time clerical staff member. The teaching positions were an amalgam of partial job cuts, meaning more than six faculty members were affected by reductions. The district is reducing its bus fleet by two and high school electives by six. Administrators, including the superintendent, took salary reductions to help fill a $2.1 million budget gap.
Candidates (Elect 3):
• Jessica Armbrust (i), 43, mother of two, 1989 East Aurora graduate
• Daniel Brunson (i), 68, current board president, former teacher and administrator
• Douglas Crow, 45, serves as East Aurora planning board alternate
• William Kane, 63, father of two, frequent speaker at School Board meetings
• Stephen Zagrobelny (i), 48, father of eight, has served four terms on School Board
Click here for more information on the candidates, including their positions on key issues: http://elections.buffalonews.com/electionresults/com/15
Total budget: $31,075,468, up 3.94 percent
Tax levy*: $18,514,187, up 2.91 percent
Tax levy increase allowed under tax cap: 2.91 percent
Estimated property tax rate per $1,000 of assessed value: $37.18 in Aurora, up 2.7 percent; $33.88 in Colden, up 2.7 percent; $311.18 in Elma, up 2.7 percent.
Polls open: 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the East Aurora Middle School Cafeteria on Main Street
* Tax levy is the total amount to be raised through property taxes
For complete coverage and results of the election, come to BuffaloNews.com on Tuesday night.