ADVERTISEMENT

Volunteer firefighters from three companies this morning battled a blaze that caused an estimated $20,000 in damage to a Clarence Center restaurant.

An upstairs tenant smelled smoke, leading to a 6:40 a.m. alarm at Gertie’s, 6010 Goodrich Road, Clarence Center, officials said. The fire was declared under control at 7:09 a.m.

Clarence Center volunteers were assisted by firefighters from Clarence and East Amherst.

Fire investigators believe the blaze started downstairs, and they’re checking the possibility that it may have started either in or near the boiler room, according to Amherst fire control.