ADVERTISEMENT

A fire late Wednesday in a Lackawanna apartment building was ruled an arson, city police said this morning.

The fire at 200 Center St., an eight-unit building, was reported at about 10:20 p.m. The Erie County Sheriff’s Office assisted in the investigation, which determined gasoline was used to ignite the blaze, police said.

“The fire was set on the stairs going up to the second floor,” said Capt. Joseph Leo. In addition, gasoline was used to ignite a couch in a second-floor apartment, whose residents weren’t home at the time.

There are no suspects, the captain said.

No injuries were reported, although the Red Cross was called to assist four people.

There was extensive smoke and water damage to the structure; however, a dollar estimate wasn’t available.