ADVERTISEMENT

LOCKPORT – A call for a suspected electrical fire just after 8 p.m. Sunday turned out to be just the odor of an improperly installed light fixture. But a search of the house led the Town of Lockport building inspector to condemn the house due to deplorable conditions.

The homeowner and her 9-year-old son were removed from the house on Raymond Road after Niagara County sheriff’s deputies said they found large amounts of garbage, rotten food, animal feces and mold. The Buffalo News is withholding the mother’s name to protect the identity of the boy.

The basement was flooded with approximately two feet of water and the water heater and furnace were not functioning, according to deputies. Water damage was causing a potential respiratory hazard, according to patrol and Town of Lockport Building Inspector Brian Belson, who condemned the house until further notice.

The mother and son were found in good health and went to live with a relative. Child Protective Services was advised.