TOWN OF LOCKPORT – Residents and pets were able to get out safely as a fast-moving fire destroyed a mobile home at 124 Elmhurst Drive East, off of Robinson Road, just after 11 a.m. today.
Fire crews were called to the scene of the fire, which started underneath the mobile home owned by Lehman D. Ellis. Crews were alerted that there were oxygen tanks in the home, but the tanks are not to believed to have been a factor in the fire, according to State Trooper Peter J. Morrissey.
Morrissey said Ellis told investigators he was using a propane heater to thaw out some pipes, which led to the fire.
Fire crews from Rapids Volunteer Fire Department arrived on the scene first and found the structure fully engulfed, with flames shooting out the windows. South Lockport, Clarence and Wendleville fire departments also responded to the scene for mutual aid and Terry’s Corners Volunteer Fire Department was on standby.
The fire caused the structure to collapse. The fire was brought under control in about half an hour.
The Red Cross was called to assist three adults who lived in the home.