Oct. 23, 1928 – Sept. 29, 2013
T. James Snyder, of Hamburg, a retired company executive, died Sept. 29 in Merritt Island, Fla., after a long battle with multiple myeloma. He was 84.
Born in Salem, Ohio, he was a graduate of Hamburg High School and St. Bonaventure University. He served in the Army during the Korean War, attaining the rank of second lieutenant.
Mr. Snyder retired in 1997 as vice president of Snyder Tank Corp., a maker of fuel tanks for trucks and large tractors on Lake Shore Road in Hamburg that was founded by his parents in 1939. The company was sold in 1998, and its plant was closed in 2002.
Mr. Snyder was a life member of the Knights of Columbus and the Hamburg Rod and Gun Club.
A member of the Bishop’s Committee of the Laity and the Korean War Veterans Association, he received awards for his service to both organizations.
He also was a Boy Scout troop leader and a major supporter of St. Bernadette Catholic Church and its school.
He was the widow of Mary L. Schreiber Snyder and married Rita Duggan Barcia.
In addition to his wife, survivors include four sons, Thomas J. Jr., Charles, Joseph and Kenneth; a daughter, Catherine Hodson; a brother, Gerald; and a sister, Joan Dutt.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at 10 a.m. Saturday in St. Bernadette’s Church, 5930 S. Abbott Road, Orchard Park.