on May 20, 2014 - 7:16 PM
July 16, 1913 – May 16, 2014
John D. MacArthur, of Lewiston and Youngstown, a decorated World War II Army veteran and longtime Western New York banker, died Friday in Mount St. Mary’s Hospital, Lewiston, after a brief illness. He was 100.
Born in Somerville, Mass., he moved with his family to Youngstown in the mid-1920s. He graduated from the Youngstown Red Brick School in 1932 and received his bachelor’s degree in English literature from the University of Rochester, where he was a member of Theta Chi fraternity.
Mr. MacArthur served in the Army from August 1941 until his honorable discharge in December 1945.
He served in the Pacific Theater with the 125th Signal Company as an intercept operator and saw duty on New Guinea, Leyte, Luzon and Okinawa.
He was the recipient of the Asiatic Pacific Theater Ribbon with three bronze stars, the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one bronze star, the American Defense Ribbon, the American Theater Ribbon, the Good Conduct Medal and the WWII Victory Medal.
Mr. MacArthur married Mary Jane Haskell on Jan. 3, 1948. She died Dec. 23, 1978.
He worked for Marine Midland Bank for many years, retiring in 1978 as assistant vice president of the bank’s Western Division and manager of the Lewiston office.
Earlier in his career, he had worked at Power City Bank.
Mr. MacArthur was a member of First Presbyterian Church of Youngstown. He was one of the organizers of the Lewiston Historical Society and a director and treasurer for many years.
He was a former treasurer of the Lewiston Business and Professional Society; the Lewiston Art Festival; a life member and former assistant treasurer of the Old Fort Niagara Association; and a former member of the Lions Club and Lewiston Queenston Rotary Club.
He served on the board of directors at Niagara Falls Country Club and the Niagara Falls Memorial Hospital Association.
Mr. MacArthur was an avid reader and he enjoyed classical music.
Services and burial will be private.