on April 15, 2014 - 6:32 PM
Feb. 9, 1914 – April 12, 2014
Donald Abrum Campbell, of Gowanda, a longtime local grocer and business owner who was a 78-year resident of Gowanda, former village trustee and member of numerous civic organizations, died Saturday at his home. He was 100.
Mr. Campbell began his career as an apprentice meat cutter, which eventually led him to open his own independently owned and operated supermarket. He owned and operated six Super Duper markets in the region. He went on to found Campbell’s Angus Farms in the late 1960s, raising Angus cattle to provide meat for his grocery stores.
In the 1970s, Mr. Campbell, along with three other local businessmen, founded Gowanda Electronics. He served the company as chairman of the board of directors.
Mr. Campbell retired from the grocery business in 1976 but continued his farming operation and opened a meat market.
He served as president of Ten Buffalo Street Inc., Don Campbell Inc. and Campbell’s Super Markets.
He was a member of the Gowanda Village Board and St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, where he served as a senior warden.
He also was a member of Phoenix Lodge 62, was a 32nd-degree Mason and was a member of the Gowanda Shrine Club.
One of the founders of Gowanda Country Club, Mr. Campbell also helped establish the Gowanda Historical Society.
He was a member of the Niagara Permanent Savings and Loan Advisory Board and president of the board of Tri-County Memorial Hospital.
Mr. Campbell received the Spirit of Gowanda award in 1992 and recently was recognized as one of only two people who achieved 65 years of active membership in the state Kiwanis Club.
He was the widower of Edna Klein Campbell, his wife of 77 years.
He is survived by three daughters, Susan C. Torrance, Karen C. Meyer and Sandra C. Brzezinski; eight grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.
A service will be at 3 p.m. Saturday in St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, Center and School streets, Gowanda.