on March 8, 2014 - 5:54 PM
Feb. 14, 1929 – Feb. 27, 2014
Barbara R. Spangenthal’s dedication to community service and knack for fundraising started with the old Community Chest, and she became known for volunteering for more than 30 years on the boards of area hospitals.
Mrs. Spangenthal, of Clarence, died Feb. 27 in Beechwood Continuing Care in Getzville. She was 85.
A 1946 graduate of Kenmore High School, she studied accounting at the University of Buffalo and worked in the retail field for many years.
When working for the Music House, she helped out at the Community Chest – now the United Way. When the agency introduced payroll deductions, she helped convince business owners to allow the practice, and showed their bookkeepers how to do it. The method increased donations by 1,000 percent.
She was instrumental in the fundraising efforts that led to the construction of Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital in 1974. Mrs. Spangenthal joined the hospital’s Women’s Board in 1971, and served as president in 1979. She served on the board of Millard Fillmore Hospital from 1980 to 1986, where she was on the budget and finance committee and chairwoman of the public relations and development committee.
She began her volunteer work as a board member at the old E. J. Meyer Memorial Hospital, and later served on the board of VNA Health Care Group.
She and her late husband, Robert, bought an old church building in Clarence, where they opened and operated Landmark Furniture for 30 years. She served as vice president of the business until their retirement in 1986.
She was active in the Republican Party, serving as the Clarence campaign organizer for Jack Kemp’s first congressional run.
She was a longtime member of Park Country Club, where she was secretary of the Women’s Division and also started the women’s Bridge Club.
Survivors include two sons, Robert E. and Dr. Edward “Ted” J.; and five grandchildren.
A funeral service will be held at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday in Calvary Episcopal Church, 20 Milton St., Williamsville.