LOCKPORT – Paul S. Turley, who fled to Arizona during his trial on charges of sexually molesting his stepdaughter and stepniece for a multiyear period, has been indicted on first-degree bail jumping.
Court papers filed Monday said Turley, who was recaptured after his conviction and is now in state prison, is to be arraigned in Niagara County Court on Jan. 2 on the new charge, which could add as much as seven years to his current prison sentence if he is convicted.
Turley, 48, is serving 16 to 32 years in Auburn Correctional Facility for the molestations between 1996 and 1998, although one of the victims said she was fondled as far back as 1994, when she was 4 years old.
The Buffalo News normally does not identify the victims of sex crimes, but in this case both victims went public after Turley’s conviction to urge other people who were molested as children to take advantage of New York’s extended statute of limitations on child sex cases by coming forward after they turn 18.
Turley took off during a lunch break in his trial Jan. 23, right after jury selection had been completed. His attorney, D. Daniel Stevanovic, later explained that prosecutors had requested that Turley’s bail be revoked because of alleged pretrial contact with one of the victims, and he thought he was going to be jailed.
He and his wife, Diane, drove across the country with their two dogs, eventually staying in a trailer park outside Tucson, Ariz., where they were captured Feb. 21.
Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas sentenced Paul Turley on May 10, in the wake of his conviction Jan. 28 on charges of first- and second-degree course of sexual conduct against a child and first-degree sexual abuse. The crimes occurred while the family was living in North Tonawanda.
Diane G. Turley, 51, pleaded guilty to hindering prosecution and was sentenced to 90 days in jail July 10 by Lockport City Judge William J. Watson.