LOCKPORT – Miguel E. Febres, who was to go to trial next week on an indictment charging him with four heroin sales and possession of a loaded handgun, took a plea deal Thursday that ensured him a six-year prison sentence instead of the potential 51 years if he were convicted on all counts.
Febres, 34, of Zimmerman Street, North Tonawanda, complained about his attorney, Assistant Public Defender A. Joseph Catalano, and said he had been given “no choice” but to plead guilty.
Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas at one point aborted the plea process and told Febres to be ready for trial Monday, but Febres backed down and said of a trial, “It makes no sense.”
He admitted to one count of third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance for an Oct. 2 heroin deal. The sentence Farkas promised him will begin after he finishes a one-to-three-year sentence he’s serving for dumping in a North Tonawanda park the body of a man who died of a drug overdose in Febres’ apartment in April 2012.