ADVERTISEMENT

NIAGARA FALLS – A rabbit and a dog were rescued, but five other animals perished in a fire on 15th Street just before 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Residents John Derosa and Norma McGuire of 2318 15th St., told investigators that they had left to go shopping and returned to find the 1 1/2-story house on fire. Multiple animals were in the home and two dogs, a cat, a rabbit, and a hamster were unable to be rescued.

Fire Investigations Capt. David Kudela said the inside of the house was on fire and there was a large amount of smoke when firefighters arrived. He said the fire had apparently started in a first floor bedroom.

“It’s an accidental fire, maybe some bad wires,” Kudela said of the investigation. “The house was totaled.”

He said damage was listed at $20,000.