SANBORN – Student bus transportation went smoothly on the first day of school in the Niagara Wheatfield Central School District despite a previous report that as many as six more buses could be needed.
In her report Wednesday to the School Board, School Superintendent Dr. Lynn Fusco said all Niagara Wheatfield students were transported to school on district buses. She noted some pickup and drop-off issues but said they would be resolved by the end of next week.
She said she was proud of all the efforts of the bus garage staff and interim transportation director Leslie Buczkowski to make sure the buses were ready for the first day and for getting students back and forth safely.
Buczkowski, who started Aug. 19, also was thanked by several board members at the end of the meeting, as were the bus drivers.
Last month, the board was told by business officer Richard Hitzges from the Orleans-Niagara Board of Cooperative Educational Services that up to six buses needed to be purchased or leased to take students to school and activities this year.
A third alternative was to delay elementary school runs by one hour, he said.
An agenda item to approve an agreement to lease a number of buses from the Alden Central School District was withdrawn by Fusco at the last minute Wednesday because she said it was “not ready to move forward.”
Board President Steve Sabo said the busing situation is “not anywhere near” requiring a change in school schedules.
He explained that more buses are needed in case existing ones break down and need repair, especially during inclement weather.