PORTER – A reception is planned for 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday in the Town of Porter Historical Museum to unveil a new display and release a new historic 1812-1829 map to commemorate the burning of the town in December 1813.
The museum is located in the Youngstown Civic Center, 240 Lockport St.
Town Historian Suzanne Simon Dietz will host the reception, which will feature the town’s Bicentennial community quilt, on display for the first time. The quilt was created by Marilyn Harbison of Ransomville and features more than 200 residents’ signatures. It was created for the town’s Bicentennial celebration June 1, 2012.
In addition, Dietz will present a new map outlining the approximate locations of homes, creeks and boundaries during the War of 1812. Copies of the map will be available for viewing at local historical museums and libraries.