ADVERTISEMENT

TOWN OF LOCKPORT – A Lockwood Drive resident got a lucky break Sunday morning when his house caught fire while he was trying to thaw frozen water pipes.

Sheriff’s deputies said the 10:48 a.m. fire at 1110 Lockwood Drive apparently burned itself out, leaving the siding, insulation and a small area of the home’s wood frame damaged. It was believed that the home would remain habitable, deputes said.

The 69-year-old homeowner told deputies the fire started in the area of his hot water tank. The Rapids Fire Company responded to the scene.