LOCKPORT – The Niagara County Fair, which will run from July 30 to Aug. 3, is still half a year away, but Cornell Cooperative Extension is getting ready by holding its 2014 Niagara County Fair Logo Contest for young people ages 5 to 19 years old.
The theme is “A Good Thing Growing – Celebrating Niagara County’s Agriculture,” and the deadline for submission is Feb. 28.
The winning entry should be eye-catching and bold, and must be an original piece of artwork. It will be used in fair advertisements, decorations, posters and brochures.
The entry may incorporate some aspect of the fair, although that is not required, and should promote and celebrate agricultural themes such as: farmers and their families and/or their contributions, including produce they grow, animals they raise or the beauty of the land and the community.
Any submission that does not include the contest theme may be disregarded at the discretion of Cornell Cooperative Extension.
The top three winners will receive two tickets to the Farm City Breakfast on July 30, where they will be honored for their achievement. The first-prize winner will also receive a $100 cash prize and two weekly fair passes; the second-place winner will receive $50 and two weekly passes; and the third-prize winner will receive $25 and two daily passes to the fair.
Additionally, contestants who are awarded fourth through tenth place will receive a certificate of participation and two daily passes to the fair.
• Entries must be original, unpublished work with no trademarked or third-party-owned material.
• They should be submitted on paper no larger that 8½ by 11 inches.
• There is a limit of three entries per person.
• Entries should not be signed. All entries should have an envelope attached to the back that includes a 3-by-5 card with the name of the artist, address, phone number and email address, as well as the name of a parent or guardian.
• Entries are due no later than 4 p.m. Feb. 28 in person, or postmarked on or before Feb. 28.
• Entries may be submitted in person or by mail at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Administration Building, 4487 Lake Avenue, Lockport, NY 14094, “Attention of Cathy Maloney, Fair Director.
The winning submission will be chosen by Cooperative Extension, but the community will be invited to participate in choosing the second through sixth submissions. Voting will be open March 7 through 14.
Vote on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cceniagara after you “like” the site or mail your choice to the CCE Logo Contest at the Lake Street address, or by ballot in person or by emailing your choice to email@example.com.