A fire last week that heavily damaged a Kenmore home was caused by teenage boys playing with WD-40, said Kenmore Police Capt. William Phillips.
The fire on Friday routed a family of four and left $100,000 damage to a 2½-story home at 114 Nassau Ave., police said.
After an investigation by Kenmore Police Detective Michael Wells, it was determined that the fire was sparked by three 14-year-old boys playing with flammables.
“They said they put the original fire out with a rag and tossed the rag in the attic,” Phillips said. “The rag rekindled the fire.”
No charges are anticipated at this time and no names will be disclosed due to the ages of those involved, said Kenmore Police Chief Peter J. Breitnauer.
The occupants – a mother and three children – are staying with family members.