The Town of Hamburg will be using its existing Code Red high-speed emergency notification system to deliver emergency messages through IPAWS – Integrated Public Alert and Warning System.
The added capability provides an effective way to alert and warn the public about potentially life-threatening emergencies through the Emergency Alert System, Wireless Emergency Alerts and NOAA Weather Radio. The town also will be able to issue notifications to other local alerting authorities within Code Red.
“By integrating these emergency alerting methods within the single Code Red system, we’re able to streamline and make the process much more efficient in the way we notify residents of actual emergencies including imminent threats,” said Sean Crotty, emergency director for the town.
The new system will save time and redirect valuable resources elsewhere that are needed to protect the community in a crisis, he added.
Residents who have not yet enrolled or who have recently changed their contact information can visit the town website at www.townofhamburgny.com to add or update their information.
• The Hamburg Town Board will conduct a work session at 6 p.m. Monday in Conference Room No. 1, followed by a regular meeting at 7 in the court room at Town Hall, 6100 South Park Ave.
• The Village of Hamburg Historic Preservation Commission meets at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday in Village Hall, 100 Main St.
• A regular meeting of the Hamburg School Board begins at 6 p.m. Tuesday in Armor Elementary School cafeteria, 5301 Abbott Road. A public hearing will be held on the district’s safety plan, then the board plans to meet in executive session, with the public session resuming at 7:30. The board also will hold another misconduct hearing session at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Armor Elementary School.
• The Village of Hamburg Planning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall.
• Blasdell Farmer’s Market is open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the parking lot at Ilio DiPaolo’s Restaurant, 3785 South Park Ave.
• A meeting of the Village of Hamburg Environmental Commission begins at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Village Hall.
• Heard of Buffalo will perform at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at JFK Playground on Grafton Avenue, between Avon and Allen, Blasdell.
• A concert by South City begins at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Memorial Park, Lake and Union streets. Rain site is Union-Pleasant Elementary School.
• The Village of Hamburg Recreation Trails Task Force will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in Village Hall.
• Hamburg Farmers Market is open from 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday in the village municipal parking lot, with entrances on Main and Union streets.